Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven weapons: warpick and slashback crossbow  (Read 788 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Dwarven weapons: warpick and slashback crossbow
« on: January 18, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

code:

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXECROSSBOW]
[NAME:slashback crossbow:slashback crossbows]
[DAMAGE:110:SLASH]
[WEIGHT:100]
[SKILL:AXE]
[RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLT]
[TWO_HANDED:5]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:9]

The ingenious slashback crossbow is either a crossbow featuring a very long stock whit an axe on it, or an axe whit a crossbow at the end of the shaft, depending on how you see it. VERY useful.

code:

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WARPICK]
[NAME:warpick:warpicks]
[DAMAGE:110:PIERCE]
[WEIGHT:70]
[SKILL:MINING]
[CRIT_BOOST:2]
[TWO_HANDED:5]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:6]

The warpick is a bigger heavier pick whit one broader end and an extra sharp point as well as some other differences, it is designed not only for digging but also for defense.

///////////////////////////////////////

These are some very useful weapons that are also very plausible I think from a realism perspective, and very dwarven.   :)

You will also have to add them to the dwarven entity file; just copy the sections for ordinary crossbows and picks and put "WAR" and "AXE" in front of them.
Note that these are untested but there is no reason in the world they shuld not work.
And sorry if I don't babysit thought the installation as much as I could.

(Edit: misspelled crossbow)

[ January 18, 2008: Message edited by: Armok ]

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Dwarven weapons: warpick and slashback crossbow
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »

The "axe crossbow" is a bit overpowered, since you copied the battleaxe and it will be able to be used with a shield. Plus it would make normal axes and crossbows useless. Why use an axe when you can attach a machine gun to it? Why use a crossbow without a shield when you can use the axe crossbow with a shield and do more melee damage too?

And the "warpick" makes spears useless, since it does more damage with the same crit modifiers. Plus the skill for it is far more useful and easier to train.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

except you can't tell your military dwarves to got pick up a pick...
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »

They are more powerful, yes, but if you look closely you see they also use more material; it takes more metal to make a slashback crossbow than it takes to make an ordinary axe AND an ordinary crossbow.

Also I didn't copy the axe, I used the crossbow originally, then added a few properties from the axe, as well as other things.

The pick also use more material, and should be hard to use as a military weapon, it's meant for desperate situations and miner self defense.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

MechanicalArm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

Hooray!

Cool non-official-official mods!

I love these! Thanks!

Maybe we could have some armor to go with them?

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

I hope you don't mind but I added them both to the community mod. It goes well with the crossbow, repeating hand crossbow and blade crossbow.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 01:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Karlito:
<STRONG>except you can't tell your military dwarves to got pick up a pick...</STRONG>

Sure you can, you can just forbid the ordinary picks and set them to mining skill. As long as the "warpick" is flagged right in the entity_default file they will pick them up as a weapon, and then you can recruit them into military set as unarmed and they'll use their mining skill and the pick.

I don't really see material costs having any balancing effect, but I suppose it's up to the player to decide if something should be in their game. They are both obviously stronger than the original weapons, especially with the crossbow/axe.

As for realism, an axe with a crossbow attached would be more difficult to use than a regular axe. Similar things were attempted in history, with firearms built into swords, but they weren't really as effective as just a gun or just a sword. The crossbow part might be a bit more plausible if it was at least two handed, since it seems like it would be awfully difficult to reload a crossbow at the end of a battleaxe, especially with a shield in your other hand. But as I said, up to the user what they want in their game.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
<STRONG>The "axe crossbow" is a bit overpowered, since you copied the battleaxe and it will be able to be used with a shield. </STRONG>

You can already use crossbows with shields. I don't know if it's a bug or not.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Lokum Sibnir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 01:19:00 am »

Nice, liked the warpick, but that crossbow is overpowered, imo. Half of my mountain is made of magnetite, so I can make heaps of steel and mass-produce those juggernauts untill sieges and warfare isnt funny anymore.  :) But yays for the bigger pick!
re you a dwarf or gnome? Let''s go.