Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to?  (Read 574 times)

Antiochus V

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
how to?
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:38:00 am »

I have played several games now, but am not experienced at modding.  I would be grateful detailed explanations for how to do the following.

I am bored of having vast piles of stone everywhere, there are only so many miles of wall and stone items I can build with it.

Is it possible to have stone smelt or be masoned/crafted into something else, like bars of steel, glass (never yet been able to make) or adamantine (I have dreams of building an adamantine road network, and have never found any yet).

I also wish to know how to make purchasable and trainable bears (I want war bears)to embark with.

Also how do I reduce the time taken for baby dwarfs to become adult?

I understand it is possible to turn of the dwarf economy, how does one go about this?

My plan is to build a fort in the most hostile location I can find, but to do so I wish to stack some of the odds in my favour to overcome my tendancy to get my dwarfs killed very quickly.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: how to?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:47:00 am »

Several of these questions are answered on the Dwarf Fortress wiki, and there's a very handy modding category there that will link you to most of the essential info bits.

If you want a particular stone to melt, go into the "matgloss_stone.txt" file, find the stone you want (or don't want, as the case may be), and set the melting point to zero or something.  This may have the side effect of making stone layers of that sort disintegrate even before mining, but I'm not sure.  There are also ways of transforming any item into any other item.  So you could, potentially, smelt stones into rats.  This requires much more modding, however.

For bears, add the [PET] tag to the bears you want.  If you want bears that can be trained into hunting/war animals like dogs can, also add the [TRAINABLE] tag.  If they're not common enough for your likes, add the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag.  

For dwarven lifetimes, find the dwarf creature profile in the creature_standard.txt, and change the values of "[CHILD:12] and [BABY:1]" to whatever you want.  The values inside determine how long a dwf will spend in that stage before progressing.  If neither tag is present, they will jump fully-formed from the womb (presumably, never modded it that way myself).