Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throats?  (Read 749 times)

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Throats?
« on: February 09, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »

Ok, I've tried sodding around with the raws a bit, but, I've noticed anything marked with the embedded tag can be gouged out. Other than throats, it seems. Does anyone have an idea why throats can't be gouged, and how they can be made.. Gouge-able?
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Throats?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

They have the [THROAT] tag, that makes them ungougeable and latchable-to. As in the message "The wolf latches on firmly to your throat!".

Speaking of which, there's a function in my mod that I forgot to mention...

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can gouge out throats. It goes something like "The <creature>'s throat is slashed/poked out!" and then the bodypart turns dark grey, you can't strangle it anymore, and the thing bleeds to death.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

You can poke or slash it out, yes, but only as part of the damage incurred by a hit to the parent part - the neck. It can't be torn out with wrestling, like eyes.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 11:23:00 pm »

If you wanted to have a body part that reacted the same way as a throat (embedded, not gougeable, latchable, so on), would adding the throat tag kill the creature if it lost that bodypart or had it severely damaged?  Also, would you be able to strangle someone's ankle if you happened to slap that tag on it?

Sounds interesting.  Could make some nifty creatures with that, like a beasty with breathing tubes coming out of its back or something.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 07:09:00 am »

Yes, a throat-tagged item will always cause death when detached. Or strangulated. Suffocation at least, so you could make a creature that doesn't breathe quite safely.
Adding [APERTURE] will prevent an embedded item from being gougeable, but will not make it latch-on-able, or strangulatable. It will still be pinch-able though.

Heh, the image of "you strangle somebody's ankle" is fun, yet somewhat disturbing.  :) And I doubt you'll be able to efficiently strangle a creature with more than, say, four throats.  :D

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 09:49:00 am »

Well, you could actually strangle a critter with four throats.  Right hand goes here, left hand goes there, left lower leg goes over on that one...

Could be done.  But it might suffer from the same problem with heads, in that if you remove one, it acts like all are gone.  That may be beneficial in some cases, but a hindrance in others.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

Uh.. I thought ettins won't die if you cut one of their heads off. From bloodloss, probably, but not instantly until all heads are gone.

My driders had the problem of having several lower bodies, and they didn't die if one of them was destroyed, but not cut off.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Could be done.  But it might suffer from the same problem with heads, in that if you remove one, it acts like all are gone.</STRONG>

I've cut one head off an ettin and it kept fighting.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 03:20:00 pm »

Note: what's the point of having a hydra if it can't live after losing one head?  ;)