Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding [NOFEAR] to Dwarves in DF Mode?  (Read 1072 times)

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
Adding [NOFEAR] to Dwarves in DF Mode?
« on: February 20, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

Someone recently stated that catapults don't fire correctly/accurately/at all across z-levels, so I figured the easiest way to test this would be to simply embark on a goblin dark fortress, mod the dwarves' speed to 200, and let them rapid-build towers and catapults of varying heights to rain stony death upon the goblins.

However, of course, the silly dwarves won't go anywhere near the goblins, making it rather difficult to accurately test the catapult-towers.  I've added [NOFEAR] and generated a new world, but that doesn't seem to have any effect, and someone else told me [NOFEAR] has no effect on the playable race in DF mode.

Is this true?  Is there a workaround?  Am I missing something obvious?  The game is virtually unmodded except for [SPEED:200] and [NOFEAR] under the dwarves' entry in the creature_standard.txt file.

Derp.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adding [NOFEAR] to Dwarves in DF Mode?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

You could try making your dwarves RECKLESS.  LIKES_FIGHTING may reduce fearful behavior at the risk of berserk charges.  You can also remove SIGHT from eyes in body_default.txt (or whatever it's called) to blind your dwarves.  They won't flee what they don't see, and, since you can't safely change a creature's BODY: without generating a new world, you can't exactly temporarily remove their eyes.

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>You could try making your dwarves RECKLESS.  LIKES_FIGHTING may reduce fearful behavior at the risk of berserk charges.  You can also remove SIGHT from eyes in body_default.txt (or whatever it's called) to blind your dwarves.  They won't flee what they don't see, and, since you can't safely change a creature's BODY: without generating a new world, you can't exactly temporarily remove their eyes.</STRONG>

Thanks for the help. Though the question seems rather obvious, if you remove SIGHT, does that impact their ability to aim crossbows, catapults, etc.?

Derp.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

NO_FEAR doesn't effect your civillian work interruptions (siege operator is civillian), it affects military units only so they won't flee if their comrades die around, I think. Also [RECKLESS] seems to make them fighting till the death without fleeing from wounds.

That "someone" who stated that siege engines don't fire across Z levels was Toady, so I don't think you have a reason to test...
The siege ammo drops on levels below only after it has reached its maximal range.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »

this may sound stupid, but remove their eyes... their movement or ability to work isn't impaired, and they can't detect enemies so they wont be afraid
een failing lately?