Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't get character set to work  (Read 699 times)

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't get character set to work
« on: February 20, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

I'm trying to use the second 12x12 tileset and am running into some problems. I did the following:

1) Save image to disk
2) Open up image in GIMP
3) Save as... to Windows BMP
4) Put new BMP file into /data/art as curses_12x12.bmp
5) Edit init.txt to set the font as curses_12x12.bmp

However, when I start up DF, I get a completely blank screen. I know it's a font problem because I can hit down twice and enter and the game quits; the menu is THERE, everything works, but no font is being displayed.

I've changed the font before, I tried using the supplied 800x600 font for awhile, but I didn't love it (too used to the default look of the dorfs), so I know I'm not being completely retarded.. but I can't figure out what's going wrong. -.- All I can figure is that GIMP isn't saving it as the "right kind" of bmp, but I'm running linux so MS Paint isn't really an option.

Ideas?

Guntaas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get character set to work
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

Be sure to save it as a 24-bit BMP. I'm no expert with the GIMP, but I'm certain it can do it.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get character set to work
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

Save it in paint and see what happens.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.