Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seriously awesome side effects of mod.  (Read 1259 times)

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
Seriously awesome side effects of mod.
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

So I read this thread, where setting entities to like each other's sites caused mass genocide. I decided to do something similar. I made a entity of Dragon-ruled crusader dwarves and another of invading Fire Imps. To keep things sane, I set each to only generate one civ. Both of them were also set to want Dark Fortresses.

After fighting through a few technical issues, a world generated successfully. The evil civilizations and the invaders were in the north. All the dwarves were in a small corner in the south.

The first warning sign was that the crusaders didn't show up on the adventure screen. That's odd, I thought, but maybe it won't start adventurers in Dark Fortresses. So instead I picked a nearby dwarven civilization to start in.

Several minutes later, I found a 'dark' fortress. There were goblin coins scattered in it's outskirts. I immediately assumed that they had invaded. However, further inspection revealed no one was there at all! That was the second warning sign.

Then I went from dark fortress to fortress, to find all of them abandoned. They all also had random scattered coins, so I assume that that's just part of their generation. In desperation, I opened up up Dwarf Mode to settle a dark fortress and make art images.

I randomly glanced at a dwarf's profile. They worshiped Togal the dragon-god. Clearly, Togal was still alive. But his empire didn't any cities left! What gives?

Then it dawned on me. The only possible explanation was that THE ENTIRE CIVILIZATION moved ACROSS THE ENTIRE MAP to invade the north! Now that's hardcore. Someday, assuming that migrants keep making babies, Togal and his dwarf horde shall descend upon the dark fortresses of the north and slay them all. If not, Togal shall slay quite a few before dying to a random arrow. Either way, it's still epic. Now all I need to know is where he is, and I can join his dragon dwarven death march.

Check out my books at O and H Books

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
Re: Seriously awesome side effects of mod.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gigalith:
<STRONG>The first warning sign was that the crusaders didn't show up on the adventure screen.</STRONG>

Silly question, but did you give them [ADVENTURE_TIER:#] and [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]?

Derp.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 04:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Licorice:
<STRONG>

Silly question, but did you give them [ADVENTURE_TIER:#] and [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]?</STRONG>

Yes. In fact, I even changed the tier a few times in an attempt to get them to show up. No dice.

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 04:52:00 pm »

The same thing happened to me.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »

Happend to me to when I reworked my drow race. I set them to live in dark fortress and like normal fortress. I can't find a single drow and the dwarf race seems to be gone to since I can't start one as a adventurer and all forts are empty. So did the drow kill them all then die? :)
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 12:11:00 am »

quote:
I made a entity of Dragon-ruled crusader dwarves

Did you do anything besides add the [POWER] tag to dragons? I did this and haven't seen any dragon rulers.

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 05:41:00 am »

It happens because the LIKES_SITE tag defines what site type the civ's inhabitants will most likely migrate to. Since wars are not fought in worldgen yet, the migrants get stuck in the other entity's sites and do not return. The original sites remain empty because everyone left.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 11:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fleeb:
<STRONG>

Did you do anything besides add the [POWER] tag to dragons? I did this and haven't seen any dragon rulers.</STRONG>

Yes. The entity needs  [RELIGION:ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER]
, and one or more [RELIGION_SPHERE:]s, and it may need [SPHERE_ALIGNMENT:]. Dragons need the same spheres you picked earlier. I used JUSTICE, VALOR, and VICTORY. Demons have [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK], so I set [INTELLIGENT] on dragons. I removed [MEGABEAST] to prevent them giving quests to kill themselves. That should do it.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

quote:
[INTELLIGENT]

Ahh, that's what I'm missing. Cheers.

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

Side effects part two: The search for Togal.

After reading various guides on the Wiki, I came to the conclusion that a utility that would search the game files to find out where Togal is was impractical. So I decided to attempt it manually.

First, I tried to settle every Dark Fortress in the game. This turned out to be futile, the closest I got to multiple entities was one where Fire Imps joined the goblins. Then I got a different idea.

I set goblins to be adventurable. I found a demon god ruler in the hope that he would give a quest to kill Togal. No dice. The I glanced at the the adventure screen, and noticed that there actually was an option to adventure as a crusader, I just didn't see it.

So I started one and saw some very interesting engravings. Apparently, there were actually two Togal religions, and there was an engraving of one dwarf being banished from one, (and joining the other). But the only inhabitants  of the fortress were two goblin guards. Then I thought of a cunning plan.

I started an adventurer, retired him, settled a fortress next to his town and then un-retired him. I was able to catch up to the migrant group and ask them about service.

Apparently, although Togal and the rest of the nation are still alive, no one actually knows where they are. They've become living legends, and one day they will give some Dark Fortress a fatal suprise.

And you know what the civilization is called?

The Rumored Holiness.

This game is awesome.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »

What would be more awesome?

Settle a dark fortress and get attacked by Togal. Even more awesome, catch him in a cage.

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Squeegy:
<STRONG>What would be more awesome?

Settle a dark fortress and get attacked by Togal. Even more awesome, catch him in a cage.</STRONG>

Now I really want to do this. It would require figuring out where Togal actually is though. Maybe when some sort of army screen is added to Fortress Mode, I could finally find out. Or a utility that finds out where migrants are.