Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have made a very interesting discovery about plants.  (Read 1016 times)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have made a very interesting discovery about plants.
« on: December 25, 2007, 01:54:00 am »

Turns out that, while you can import seeds and grow [GOOD] [SAVAGE] and (presumably) [EVIL] plants in inappropriate biomes, the same is not true of normal biome tokens - a plant that only appears in forests can only be farmed in forests. Who knew?
Edit :(At least, I think that's what's happening...)
Edit again: (Or maybe it's that only plants with [BIOME_NOT_FREEZING] can be farmed?)

[ December 25, 2007: Message edited by: Vanigo ]

[ December 25, 2007: Message edited by: Vanigo ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have made a very interesting discovery about plants.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »

Are you sure they can't be farmed if you had the seeds? (I haven't really payed attention; so I wouldn't know)

I know you can only import plants from biomes the traders are attached to (that's why you can get sun berries from elves). Also you can only embark with plants your civ has access too.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »

Yeah, I imported the seeds, and they didn't show up in my outdoor plots until I went into the raws and stuck [BIOME_NOT_FREEZING] in there. [BIOME_MOUNTAIN] didn't work, for whatever reason. (Is there a biome token for hills, or are they part of some other biome?)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »

I had to confirm this recently for my own mod, and it is indeed true.  My mod has all sorts of biome plants, yet in my testing fort I could only grow Armok's Manna aboveground, even though over the time there I imported every plant I could.  The reason was that Armok's Manna was the only one I had designated as Biome Mountain.  I have Tropical Grassland on the edge of the map, and I have yet to build a plot there to see if it is the overall map chosen or the individual location that determines what will grow in a farm plot.  I need to do that, though.

Fenrir

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Pickerel:
<STRONG>I have yet to build a plot there to see if it is the overall map chosen or the individual location that determines what will grow in a farm plot.  I need to do that, though.</STRONG>

It's the individual biome.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »

Yup.  You can have two adjacent farm plots that can't grow the same plants.

One thing I haven't tried is placing a plot overlapping two biomes.  I don't know whether it would grow plants from one or both.

makar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 06:47:00 am »

Probably the same as having a cave plot with a light spot in it.
Some spots are "subterranean" others are "outdoor"