Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I make humans edible?  (Read 785 times)

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I make humans edible?
« on: January 10, 2008, 04:03:00 am »

I'm making a mod with gnolls as a playable race, so it only seemed appropriate.
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make humans edible?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:43:00 am »

I'm sure you can give humans a Butcherable tag, kill them and then drag them to a butcher's shop.

Not sure how it would work, though. You might end up getting Human Meat from human traders   :eek:

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 08:43:00 am »

Well, you would need to disable their [INTELLIGENT] tag... Intelligent creatures don't consume other intelligent creatures, as is.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:17:00 am »

Not if they're hostile tho. I set goblins to butcherable and they'll be eaten even with the intelligent tag in place. Looks like friendlies won't be consumed.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Riess

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Gray Ghost
    • View Profile
    • Our Intrepid Crew - Space Opera Webcomic
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:40:00 am »

Setting them to [PET] will do the trick, but I'm not aware of ALL the side-effects of that.

I tried creating a civilization out of creatures with the pet tag once, it didn't seem to conflict with the [CAN_CIV] tag, and my creatures were butcherable and apparently edible to their own kind - only problem was they no longer had a preference screen (or rather, only the pet "ready for slaughter" screen), making work management rather impossible.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

I think all you have to do is delete the [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] tag and then when they die you can cut them up and eat them.

I've never tried it though so I can't say for sure it will work.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 07:33:00 pm »

That would be nice.  Capture a sieging army and train some of them to be pets for your dwarves.   Eat the rest.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 04:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Riess:
<STRONG>Setting them to [PET] will do the trick, but I'm not aware of ALL the side-effects of that.</STRONG>

http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000024

That thread lists some of the effects and problems with the pet and common domestic tags.

Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »

You can just set your race to eat bones, then your gnolls will each the bones of dead humans :P I'm not sure what the flag is, I think it's [Bone_Carn] or something like that.
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 01:53:00 am »

I made a new creature [HUMAN SLAVE], which kinda did the trick. At least now gnolls can take humans with them on embark, and breed or eat them. :3

Hmmm *human slave child stew*...

A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »

lmao, you can breed humans? Does it work? Do they pop out babies that run around and get into trouble ?YOu need to make it to where they can be trained into war animals too. You could have an army of human slave warriors to fight for you .  (Some of those Drow mods out there could learn from this and make Goblins and Kobolds breedable pets that can be trained into armies)
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 05:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>I think all you have to do is delete the [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] tag and then when they die you can cut them up and eat them.

I've never tried it though so I can't say for sure it will work.</STRONG>

This works. I have done it several times previously for Humans and practically anything other than dwarves. The result is quite grizzly, but amazingly awesome.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Demology

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »

I have kind of the opposit problem, afther i added some new creatures and tried the other main races, im now stuck with elfs as main race even if they dont have the tag for it, and i also noticed i could buy human meat.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

quote:
im now stuck with elfs as main race even if they dont have the tag for it, and i also noticed i could buy human meat.  

*GASP* I knew it! Those filthy elves!

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.