Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Request.  (Read 977 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Request.
« on: December 21, 2007, 05:10:00 am »

I was thinking, how about a space age dwarf fortress? instead of choosing which region you'll be in on the selection screen... you got to choose planets, or moons or stars or something? I wonder if it'll work. I doubt the items would need much editing, just add 'Space' (e.g Steel Space Pick, or Space rope reed pants.) onto an item. I dunno how hard it would be... but any thoughts on it?

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
Re: Request.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »

Traders arrive with landers full of useless crap? sounds interesting...
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 11:15:00 pm »

so... you want a mod where every item has the word "space" at the beginning?

I don't get it.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 01:20:00 am »

I don't think there's a way to make this work as you cannot change the way worlds are generated.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 04:24:00 am »

It might be possible to change a few things such as materials, items and creatures to make the current worlds seem more futuristic.  Make guns instead of crossbows, make stuff out of fictional minerals and metals, have mutant carp instead of zombie carp, so on.

One thing that would be really cool, would be to change magma into radioactive sludge.  The sluggish magma movement would suit it just fine, and you could change the inhabitants from firethrowing imps to mutant whatevers.  However, I don't think this is possible.  Magma is almost certainly hardcoded, at least in those respects.

Think of it, you could have elves become a fanatical alien race that restricts your harvesting of carbon outcroppings (or whatever you want trees turned into), you could fashion laser swords that would prove even more dangerous in sparring than currently possible, and all manner of other really interesting stuff.  Really.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 05:16:00 am »

This is a superior moon crystal ring. It is encircled with green particle effects. It menaces with spikes of blue laser. On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elven space shuttle in holographic energy trans-microcrystal glass. The dwarf is shooting down the elven space shuttle. The elven space shuttle is screaming.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

Good lord, I had just the exact same idea. Except I didn't want to type it out because it sounded silly.

About the only thing I could add in was being able to land and mine out lone asteroids, suspended in inky space blackness.

The space dwarves would be in a bit of a bind once their space-suits rots and falls off thou.

++++++

Buzz Lightbeard has canceled fetching equipment: dangerous terrain.
Buzz Lightbeard has died from explosive decompression.

Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 08:43:00 am »

Yeah, all of these things sound really swell... but i don't know the first thing to modding, and i don't really want to try. But yeah, the whole decompression thing would be quite funny.