Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sweet Military Squad Names  (Read 4112 times)

Katawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sweet Military Squad Names
« on: March 15, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

I'll start it off with some back story on my military's leader.

Stinthad Deleges(Galleyclear), Champion, started off as no more than you or I a simple dwarf in a simple age. Born of a well established merchant she was to inherit the shop and manage it when her father passed. Quickly growing bored of the barter and haggle lifestyle she signed up to leave for one of the outpost colonies. Her father discovering it shortly after was furious but completely powerless. A royal document was unquestionable and that's exactly what an migration writ was. After emigrating to Angzakiton Nashonumommokez from her cushy, altogether boring, lifestyle she found herself being told by the Mayor that they simply had no need of her skills as they were and that she was being placed in the military. While unsure of such a position of duty she was thrilled at not having to be a merchant.
Through a couple uneventful years and petty kobold attacks she learned to wrestle proficiently. By this time the outpost had become a fortress, almost perfectly defended from any pathetic kobold attack. Word came in from the Captain of The Guard that stronger forces were on the horizon, she was outfitted with new weaponry and transfered to a marksman squad to learn quickly the agility of shooting.
As goblins, mightier than any kobold came upon them they let loose their arrows and cut them down as they stood. Driving them asunder with relative ease. When it was all ended Stinthad stood before the Captain and the Mayor, "These weapons we wield are cowardly and untowards. Shooting from a safe and clear distance like such a deer hunt. I can not face myself another day if I can not face my enemy."
While the Captain caroused a cheer the Mayor stood fast. He explained that it was his position to commit to the King's advisers their losses and wins and the safety of the region. It would be bad for him to report that Dwarfs were placing themselves in harms way just so they could feel good about winning.

"Then mark me as a vagrant in the ledger instead of a soldier, I have work to do!" With that she stormed off to the smithies to request special equipment.

Over the next few years she had proved herself in battle time and time again, her skill with the sword unparalleled. She was placed in command of her very own sword squad and eventually 5 swordsman squads like hers were created.
It was at this time she would meet her first love, 2nd after the sword, Zuntir Roldethiden(Anguishpaddled).
She became a sword master and commanded the other squads with a zeal unseen before.

A tomb was designed for her for when she will eventually pass from this earth, with pillars of rose gold, walkways of true gold, and a sarcophagus of masterwork platinum.
It's pillars of rose gold to remind the world of the great leader of the military might of Terrorhall, the squad named: The Chambers of Autumn.

Shortly after becoming a legendary champion of the fortress she gave birth to her first child a daughter named Sazir Cudistmorul(Scaldedpaged).
Her child is basically perfect, and will make a hardcore successor, also a big fan of rose gold.

The story was kind of unintentional, basically sweet squad name was Chambers of Autumn was all I was getting at.

att has been attacked by a dead and still annoying acquaintance lately.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Military Squad Names
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

My bohemian 90 dwarf party and engineering fortress was struck by three goblin sieges in a row. The first and second were someshow held off, but when the third rolled around, I just drafted my entire population and let them roll. These are some of the more interesting squad names found in the gamelog:
Squad "The Constructive Typhoons" has been annihilated!
Squad "The Decisions of Paint" has been annihilated!
Squad "The Wealthy Banners" has been annihilated!
Squad "The Safe Citadels" has been annihilated!
Squad "The Attics of Searching" has been annihilated!
Squad "The Barricaded Baldnesses" has been annihilated!
Squad "The Irons of Throwing" has been annihilated!
Squad "The Syrups of Alliance" has been annihilated! (This was my cook's single dwarf squad)
Squad "The Oils of Hair" has been annihilated!
Squad "The Slippery Furnaces" has been disbanded.

The third siege ended with about 40 dwarves remaining and two goblins trapped in the empty moat around the fort, interrupting any useful work that might be going on. The population had whittled itself down to about a dozen when the game crashed and granted me an unintentional save scumm. I'll make good use of it and defend the fort this time.

Note to self: Remember DF squads as a great source for rock band names

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: AlienChickenPie ]