Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big mod idea- looking for thoughts.  (Read 1429 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Big mod idea- looking for thoughts.
« on: June 04, 2008, 04:34:00 pm »

My brother and I have been bouncing an idea around for a fantasy world setting, and it occoured to me to try putting it into Dwarf Fortress. I wanted to know your guys' thoughts on it, and see if you could think of any difficulties/great ideas. Here's the notes on the setting so far:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fey People
A Fantasy

There is a big City. There is a small Town a dozen miles away from that City. A few miles away from that Town there is a little village. And just a short walk out from that village is an old farmer's cottage. The cottage is surrounded by woods, near a creek and a gully, and there have been no humans here in many years. That does not mean that there are no people, however.

The Fey People of George's Cottage live as they do in many places. They are a varied group, spread across several villages throughout the woods, pastures, and other terrain of the Estate. The Fey People, you see, are small beings. The tallest of them, the Gnomes, are 11 in. tall. Most are around 7 in. tall like the Norns, and the small Goblins are a mere 5 in. As a rule, they live for 12 years, measuring their age by a two-month year- They are the equivalent of human 80 years old by that time, though some live longer and others live less.

They live in villages built out of the things they can find, and one can normally find someone of every type in a village. That said, there are empires and a king of every type. Each village is beholden to the local mayor of the race, and each mayor is a member of that race's council, who rule with the king of that kind.

The Kinds of The Fey People:

Elves: The Elves are small, warty, green, and hunched. They have thin wings, too, though flight is not easy to them. They are not evil as a whole, but their communities are often belligerent and violent to outsiders. They do, however, respect strength and honor, and can be strong allies. They wear clothes made from dirty socks, and pride themselves on never having taken a matching pair. They will on occasion make offerings to humans in order to gain a powerful ally.

Goblins: Goblins are built of rags, straw, and twigs. They are held together with twine and daubs of mud. They build and repair each other, and enjoy labor, working for others cheerfully. They can be simple-minded sometimes, but some are great artists, and they do travel and trade with the others. They are terrified of water, as more than a moment's splash will start to dissolve their mud! They care little for politics, simply working or fighting for those who respect their work.

Gnomes: Huge, strong, and bold, the Gnomes are rarer than the other kinds, but they leave their mark; They, by mysterious tradition, sometimes make larger-than-life-sized statues of themselves that they gift to people, even Humans. Recently Humans have started to make these statues themselves, but they leave out the bald head, lumpy, rocky skin, and yellow, angular teeth. The Gnomes are slow decision makers, as the feel that their great strength lends them a certain responsibility over the smaller kinds.

Dwarves: Beneath a long pointed cap, a bulbous nose. Under the nose, a long beard, and under the beard, a fit dwarf will have as close to a spherical belly as possible. Dwarves are wise, enjoy digging and metal working, and can live for many, many seasons. They are gruff and short-spoken, but just need a little time to get to know a new person. A game of nine-pins and nine pints should do it- just beware of the potency of the potables and the length of a game!

Mouslings: The Mouslings are perhaps the most in-touch with humans, as they often explore their artifacts and homes. There are two subtle sub-groups; the common Mousefolk and the Ratfolk, who are larger and cruder; the two forms are sometimes intermingled and sometimes almost entirely separate as the politics of the time dictate. They are not always wise, but they can be clever- the kind of clever that can get them into trouble.

Norns: The only thing special about Norns is the fact that occasionally one of them will make himself special. In appearance, they are very much like “normal-sized” Humans. They are not the most political or wealthy, but they are rather flexible and resourceful, and seem to be found everywhere. They also tend to be friendly, and are traditionally good hosts to travelers and visitors; thus they can usually get along well among the other kinds. However, they are rather variable. Some are more patient than a dwarf, some are less kind than an elf, and some are bizarre beyond the strangest Dridir.

Frog Folk: Natural water-dwellers, the frogfolk are an essential part of the larger community of feyfolk, serving on any streamgoing vessel and living in every even remotely damp village. As their name suggests, they are very similar to both norns and frogs. Unlike the other kinds, they are not ruled by a King, but by The Great Toad; an enormous bullfrog who's great croaks are interpreted by the Royal Council. The Froglings are very rarely on any one side or the other- they prefer to remain neutral in most  conflicts, perhaps because of the economics, and perhaps because as amphibians, they “see the ripples from both sides.”

Trolls: The face of a Troll is dominated by modest fangs emerging from the mouth, a blobby nose, and wide yellowing eyes and teeth under a mop of greasy hair, and stubby arms ending in big mitts for hands. Trolls are great diggers and despise the sky and sunlight; only going out with thick hoods and robes. When on the surface, they remain in covered areas, especially under bridges. They are territorial beings, but accept barter for passage- and they do keep their paths and passages safe and neat where they can. They demand what they believe is fair payment, and can be violent if they do not receive it- this had led to a wary feeling between them and many other kinds.

Dridir: More commonly called Dryads, there are many forms of Dridir- Water Dryads, Earth Dryads, Tree-, Snow-, Fire-, Soot-, Wool-, Glass-, Stone-, Flower- Dryads... The list goes on and on, but they are all of one unique kind. They are quite variable, but they usually live close to nature- even more so than other kinds of Fey Folk- and independently. Often they have some kind of wings, although some are more decorative than others. Dridir have little united government, living only on the common law of the land, and only very rarely go to war.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's what we have so far. Other notes include:

-"Magma" is "Burning Oil" pumped from a broken pipe. Cools into "Ash" stone that is a kind of (sandy?) soil.

TO DO:

-All the new races.
   -Elves.
   -Goblins.
   -Gnomes.
   -Dwarves.
   -Mouselings.
   -Norns.
   -Frog Folk.
   -Trolls.
   -Dridir.
-All the new plants.
   -Grassess become Trees.
   -Mosses/molds for growing.
   -Mixed large plants.
-All the new Rock Types.
   -Soils can be used for Construction.
   -Some rock types scaled down.
   -minerals such as Granite are more coarse.
   -Make metals such as tin useable for tools.
-All the new Animals.
   -Make small animals Monsters.
   -Create vermine critters.
   -pet animals such as Cammies.
-All the new items.
   -Small weapons: Pins, picks, ect.
   -Re-name/redesign some items.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Big mod idea- looking for thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

I'll just take your little to-do list and see what I can make of it.

""
Well, that's what we have so far. Other notes include:

-"Magma" is "Burning Oil" pumped from a broken pipe. Cools into "Ash" stone that is a kind of (sandy?) soil.  -Sorry mate, not possible.  "Magma" isn't in the raws, and although it is somewhat possible to rename it, it requires a bit of hacking and a name that is no longer or shorter than "magma".

TO DO:

-All the new races. -Nothing to say here.  All possible, especially considering sizes are relative instead of absolute.

-All the new plants.
   -Grassess become Trees. -Not sure what you mean by this.
   -Mosses/molds for growing. -Possible, but they'd be treated just like any other plant.
   -Mixed large plants. -Easy.

-All the new Rock Types.
   -Soils can be used for Construction. -Nope, not possible.
   -Some rock types scaled down. -Not sure what you mean by this.
   -minerals such as Granite are more coarse. -Again, I am clueless.
   -Make metals such as tin useable for tools. -Two seconds, and done.

-All the new Animals. -Looks like everything's in order.

-All the new items. -Depends on what you want, but looks fine.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

Yeah, the notes are a little vauge. I want to invent new "tree" types based off of grasses.

For the magma, well, I do think it is possible to do the Ash, though, because those are minerals defined in the raws?

As for soils, yeah, I suspected that wouldn't work great.

Minerals being more coarse/scaling up minerals; most stone is not uniform, and has many smaller pockets of other stones and crystal. In dwarf mode these are too small to have any visible presence. Here they would be large areas.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:17:00 am »

"plants become trees" - he means that the trees will have the names of plants. Because the people are very small.

All of this is moddable, the onlt thing is hardcoded "magma" name, but you can leave this as it is.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 11:26:00 am »

Feel free to pick and choose from my hat mod if you like lol

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Dwarmin ]

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »

I like this mod idea. one question I have, do these creatures live for two years (as their age is measured in a two month year) or twelve years?
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »

We actually figured on a 1/4th scale life span, one year a season. Thus, if they live to a ripe old age for a midevil time period of 60, then they will have a "real" life span of 15 years. Of course, there is some variation; dwarves live for 20 years or so, and goblins wear out quickly.
The life cycle of these creatures is distorted, relitive to humans, and childhood passes in only 4-5 years, or 20 seasons. As a result, Norn Town Mode will not require many immigrants to reach 200 pop, in fact children might be seen as useful for once.
For Norns, a good baseline, most die between 11 to 13 years old, and only the most healthy live to be 15 years.
That said, a generation is only about 10 years long anyway, as a 10 year old person is seen as an elder.

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: PTTG?? ]

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

One thing to note with the reduced lifetimes is that skills that take a long time to train up will be at that high level for a lot less time before the creature dies, so less masterwork items. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing.

quote:
"Magma" is "Burning Oil" pumped from a broken pipe. Cools into "Ash" stone that is a kind of (sandy?) soil.

The magma cooling to ash would kind of work, you can set it to cool to a rock via the [LAVA] tag(at least this is what I believe will work, unless it is hardcoded for cooling magma to turn into obsidian). I haven't tried setting it for a [SOIL] or [SOIL_SAND] material but in principle it should work the same way you currently can cool magma to obsidian. Unsure what the effects would be from having more than one [LAVA] stone if you left obsidian as a [LAVA] stone as well.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »

Just change the obsidian to desired thing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

Good points. I aggree- If you get two hundred "Masterpieces" in your lifetime, you are a great master (like Leonardo). In Dwarf Fortress, you are an average stonecrafter.

Also, I was thinking of having the "Gods" be, basically, humans. Not necessarily all of the gods, but I want a chance that in a medium world, there are one or two humans that are followed by . What would be the best way to do that?

I suppose in the new version I could make Human Megabeasts to rampage around and kick down houses- and thus become worshiped.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »

In case this mod is still being made.(which I hope it is) i found someone who made a similar mod including only the fey. I thought you might be interested.
Leerok's blog with fey mod
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

Ah, thanks for telling me about that. The mod is awaiting the next version, naturally; having more control over the world will make a big difference. The Fey Mod Leerok made is a little different- for one, our mod will be in-scale with the creatures- a Norn will be size 6, I think. It's basically a one-to-twelve conversion.