Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Through the Hidden Fun Stuff  (Read 1797 times)

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Through the Hidden Fun Stuff
« on: May 30, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

I'm just going to premptively spoiler warning this whole thread.

I got to thinking - I'd like to try to play an outpost as if I'm managing 7 dwaves sent through a portal in Hidden Fun Stuff to confront the demon world head-on. Basically, dwarven hell fort! My thoughts so far,

Civs:

Goblins replaced by Frog Demons,
-- replace Trolls with some terrifying large demon thing
Humans replaced by Tentacle Demons, made hostile,
Elves removed
Dwaven traders function as normal
Wild predators replaced in all biomes by Spirits of Fire

(obviously there is a place here to add tons of custom demons, but I want the "canon" DF demons to be the most common/prominent)

Wildlife:

Initially, probably just removed to save effort/time.
Carp left in, and buffed, and allowed in all biomes. Obviously.

Flora:

Most crops are removed
Plump helmets grow, but much more slowly and with lower yeild
Native plants are mostly useless / poisonous, but maybe leave a surface plant that can be brewed. Maybe just leave in the current EVIL area surface plants?
Trees are removed, except for tower caps and that one evil tree.

Megabeasts:

Current megabeasts are all too... neutral. Will need at least one custom demon mega beast. Maybe super versions (Elder?) Frog, Tentacle, and Fire varieties.

Obviously, this mod will have the greatest effect if you start a fort in a hot, terrifying sand desert or rocky waste. The challenge, I think, would be to survive long enough to kill an Elder demon, thus accomplishing your mission on the infernal plain.

Just a wild idea, that I think is mostly implementable. I thought I would open it up to the community to see what delicious embellishments the community would come up with.

-Erom

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Hidden Fun Stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

well your idea is a excelent one but I think than you could remplace the human whit hell knigth that are goverment by a hell baron I got this idea while I was reading my old doom 2 manual but is only a suggestion is you want to do it I can send you the raws because I modded them in to my game.
About a mega beast of demonic origin my ideas is the Iron Juggernaut a gigant golem like creature that is maded from a demonic alloy than is a little more stronger that the adamantine it wanderer in the demon plane whidouth any puporse than other of cause destruction and death it have a very high damage resistance cant fell pain dont fell fear and they can destroy building and are inmune to the traps and they drop 4 bars of the demonic alloy of what they are maded or a masterfull statue of the same alloy. about the demonic alloy of what they are made I leave the name and characteristic to you
Clear skies with a chance of FLAMIN' RAIN!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

This is pretty much the reverse of the candy mod released a while back. I like.

What's going to pour through the adamantium? Dwarves? Actually, that could be cool. I wonder if it will work...

Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »

Needs more Cyberdemons with rocket launchers and giant brains on robotic spider legs with chainguns.

Anyway.  I would suggest modding some of the soil layers to look more like a hellish landscape too.  

And perhaps some grassland shrub that has the heat values to light itself on fire when it spawns to keep any grassy areas perpetually looking like a blasted wasteland with random firestorms.  Though I'm not entirely sure how that would be done it *sounds* possible.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 02:13:00 pm »

Burning bushes are a fantastic idea - will look into implementability.

Modding soil to ash (gray, non farmable dirt) would be mean as well, since with lethal wildlife and no farming you would be pretty limited in food source - kitten farming may be your best bet...

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

This is brilliant. You might want to be careful with the Spirits of Fire, though; if they're too frequent, it will be very, very hard to do anything.

Also, you didn't mention what'd happen to the poor kobolds.

EDIT: Or the beak dogs - though demons riding beak dogs would be pretty cool.

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Cavalcadeofcats ]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 04:29:00 pm »

I'm doing this now!

I replaced goblins with shaitans and kobolds with imps.
I think that we should stay without firebreath because 10+ shaitans with fireballs own everything.
I will make it in 1-2 days I guess.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

Well there is the demon mod: http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000065
Feel free to get inspiration.  :D
[DEMONLORD]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »

I'll look into it. Do you have custom graphics?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 07:52:00 am »

Nope.  :p
[DEMONLORD]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 08:53:00 am »

I already see.

Now I guess what is the best replacement for the human civ.
I'm not going to break the current balance 1-2-1 (civ-friends-foe) because you'll have enough problems with demonic critters.
Elves are replaced by wetplace-dwellers Reptilians. They are narrow, they are at peace of wildlife, but they are no longer pussies. Duty, order and religion are their personalities' strength and they are keepers of what's left of untainted nature in that world.
I wanted to replace humans with succubi and incubi, but i doubt they'd trade with dwarves.
On the other hand, why not... If we allow shaitans to be supreme evil which tries to destroy you, why can't we have "soft" variant of sentient evil which trades with you for profit?

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>I already see.

Now I guess what is the best replacement for the human civ.
I'm not going to break the current balance 1-2-1 (civ-friends-foe) because you'll have enough problems with demonic critters.
Elves are replaced by wetplace-dwellers Reptilians. They are narrow, they are at peace of wildlife, but they are no longer pussies. Duty, order and religion are their personalities' strength and they are keepers of what's left of untainted nature in that world.
I wanted to replace humans with succubi and incubi, but i doubt they'd trade with dwarves.
On the other hand, why not... If we allow shaitans to be supreme evil which tries to destroy you, why can't we have "soft" variant of sentient evil which trades with you for profit?</STRONG>

Lawful evil is fun, and it's not even a new concept. You can bribe most of the demon princes and lords in Nethack, if you're lazy. I say go for it.

Why limit the burning to plants? Surely fish can burn themselves too.

GCS should be the only chasm dweller and have pops from 20-50 or so. Then add some Giant Cave Spider Demons and Carp Demons and Elephant Demons. Zombies and skeletons are gonna be annoying as fuck.

Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 11:07:00 am »

Giant flying skeletal carp ftw!
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

I've already done giant spider demon as one of the variant for shaitans' worship target. A fire-breathing webber is really deadly.

I can't make burning fish - even if the creature's heatdampoint is VERY high it is burning alive  if it was on fire. If you can teach me how to reduce/nullify the fire damage I'd be glad to know it.

[ May 31, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 10:06:00 am »

DF meets Doom II?

Awesome, I'd play it. I'd even bestow offerings of aluminum socks.

quote:
Originally posted by Greiger:
<STRONG>Needs more Cyberdemons with rocket launchers and giant brains on robotic spider legs with chainguns.</STRONG>

Darn, beat me to it (I think... brains on spiderlegs sure sounds like Doom II)

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: MuonDecay ]