Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod/Cheat getting Bauxite (old save)  (Read 912 times)

Zoston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod/Cheat getting Bauxite (old save)
« on: May 29, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

Okay, I've been wearing myself thin over this. I've got a really old fortress where, for some reason, even if I update the version it won't allow me to trade bauxite. (It lists 30 different kinds of rock and stone in the trade screen, but bauxite is for some reason the only one not in there)

Is there any way to cheat, mod, or in some other way get bauxite or some other way to get magma proof mechanisms into an existing save (so without having to make a new world or something)? I've tried messing around with the tile editor but I haven't found a way to turn a wall into something of the desired stone.

Please help, I've tried starting new fortresses but they're just not as much fun as my old one, and I really want to use magma-proof mechanisms for floodgates in that one.  :(

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Mod/Cheat getting Bauxite (old save)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

You could modify one of the reactions (maybe temporarily modify the steel reaction to give you bauxite instead of steel, and remove all of the reagents.) that should work.  You can't create a new reaction without having to kill the save but you should be able to overhaul an existing one with no problems.

Should work if you replace this (in raw/objects/reaction_standard.txt)

code:

[REACTION:STEEL_MAKING]
[NAME:make steel bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PIG_IRON]
[REAGENT:1:REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]  

With this;
code:

[NAME:make bauxite]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:BAUXITE]

I'm not the local reactions expert though, I usually don't do weird things with reactions like this, so I may be wrong.

EDIT: I should point out that you won't be able to make steel until you put the correct tags back.  You need to have the game completely shut down when you make these change.

Technical stuff: What this should do is trick the game into thinking it's the steel reaction that it already knows(the engine name is still 'STEEL_MAKING') but it actually has nothing to do with making steel anymore.  It's a bauxite reaction that ninja'd one of the guards or something and took his uniform.

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

I just use raised pumps instead of magmaproof floodgates. In my experience, you can use any old materials for them so long as the magma doesn't run over the part where you stand.

Zoston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Greiger:
<STRONG>You could modify one of the reactions (maybe temporarily modify the steel reaction to give you bauxite instead of steel, and remove all of the reagents.) that should work.  You can't create a new reaction without having to kill the save but you should be able to overhaul an existing one with no problems.

Should work if you replace this (in raw/objects/reaction_standard.txt)

code:

[NAME:make steel bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PIG_IRON]
[REAGENT:1:REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]  

With this;
code:

[NAME:make bauxite]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:BAUXITE]

I'm not the local reactions expert though, I usually don't do weird things with reactions like this, so I may be wrong.

EDIT: I should point out that you won't be able to make steel until you put the correct tags back.  You need to have the game completely shut down when you make these change.

Technical stuff: What this should do is trick the game into thinking it's the steel reaction that it already knows(the engine name is still 'STEEL_MAKING') but it actually has nothing to do with making steel anymore.  It's a bauxite reaction that ninja'd one of the guards or something and took his uniform.

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]</STRONG>

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! That worked perfectly! Woohoo! \ ^o^ / I'm so happy, now I can finally build the magma complex I wanted to build months ago. Thank you!