Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice Creatures  (Read 881 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Ice Creatures
« on: May 05, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

Is it possible to make a creature subzero degrees. I am talking about some kind of ice elemental that only can live in subzero temperatures and starts boiling at higher temperatures. Zero might be a bit extreme but i can't remeber what the cave temperature is but around those lines.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Creatures
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

Yes, I made a spirit of ice when the temperature was still a little buggy, it was fun.

I used a [FIXED_TEMP:1] tag to make it a permanent heatsink that would sentance everything around it to an icy death. I think in the end it was a little too extreme though.

You can also set the [HOMEOTHERM:] tag to low temperatures and it should prefer them but I can't say I've ever used it like that.

The blizzard man uses a [MATERIAL:WATER:NO_MATGLOSS] tag to give it some unusual properties I believe as well.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Creatures
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

[FIXED_TEMP:1] makes it to generate -9667 farenheit around him.

HOMEOTHERM = body temperature. Check the wiki (www.dwarffortresswiki.net), "creature tokens" article.
There're ignite_point, heatdam_point, colddam_point, bone_ignite_point and a lot of other tokens which refer to temperature. Note that DF temperature scale is Farenheit + 9668, or Celsius*9/5 + 10000 (so water boiling temperature is 10180 and ice temperature (0 C*) is 10000.

[ May 05, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository