Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice stones  (Read 1696 times)

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ice stones
« on: May 25, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »

As I've read on the wiki specializing in Dwarf Fortress, Ice walls that are mined out leave ice boulders called water.  In Dwarf Fortress they are considered stones but I can't locate it in the raw files.  Does anyone know its location?  Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ice stones
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

I believe it's hard coded, and just one of those things that Water just does. I certainly can't find it in the raws, either.

I suppose you could create a new material in [BIOME:GLACIER] or something that stands in for water, and use that instead.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »

If "water" of the frozen boulder/stone variety can't be found in the raws how do I make modded reactions using said "water"?
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »

Don't believe you can. I suspect that sort of functionality will be in place for when Brewing requires water, and hopefully that will flow over (oh the pun) into the rest of the game.

Out of curiousity, what sort of things were you planning to do with water?

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »

Create a mod with aqueous solutions and real world chemical reactions.  I find chemical reactions extremely interesting and I'm currently taking college courses in chemistry.  Albeit they are the indroductory courses but I still have enough knowledge as to know what fundamentally happens inside a chemical reaction.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »

You can use water in reactions. Or try to, anyway. Specifically, you need a "STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:WATER:NO_MATGLOSS". Yes, WATER is a valid material identifier.

I believe there was a glitch that made a created object insantly freeze. It involved having no fuel or reagents in the reaction. If you manage that with water, you'll have an infinite supply of ice.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 11:55:00 pm »

So wait, does this mean you could change the Masonry workshop to make Water count as a stone for masonry projects? That would be awesome.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 12:13:00 am »

Doubt it, but it might count as an economic stone anyway.