Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A couple of material questions  (Read 1453 times)

ArchMageOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A couple of material questions
« on: May 03, 2008, 03:57:00 am »

First, can extracts be used in reactions in the current version? If it's possible, what would it look like?

Second, does amber exist within the game? I see it in the list of material tokens, but nowhere else.

Also, has anyone else considered using catalysts; that is reagents that are also products (or at least usually products)?

[ May 03, 2008: Message edited by: ArchMageOmega ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of material questions
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 05:00:00 am »

So far as I know, nothing in a container can be used in a smelter reaction.   This includes extracts, since they need to be stored in either a vial or a barrel.

Actual amber does not (yet) exist in the game.  The color amber can be admired by certain dwarves, however.

Not sure what you mean with the catalysts.  Would you mind elaborating?

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 05:54:00 am »

Maybe he means stuff like flux?
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

ArchMageOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

Ok thanks.

By catalyst I mean something like this (along with other reagents and products):
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PLATINUM]
[PRODUCT:90:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PLATINUM]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »

Hmm, nice idea! A chance to lose a catalyst if the alchemist isn't professional enough (or just because of bad luck) =).

[ May 03, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ArchMageOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »

Is the probability affected by skill? If so, which one and how?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 04:35:00 am »

From testing it seems that skill is ignored when a reaction determines whether a product with less than 100 percent chance of production will actually be produced.

A true catalyst would have almost no chance of being lost but would need to be present for the reaction to take place. In DF a catalyst could be used to make an intermediate product with a second reaction producing the final product as well as reproducing the catalyst. Alternatively it could be both one of the reagents and the products of a single reaction.

DF currently doesn't allow for catalysts that would increase the speed of the reaction.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 05:53:00 am »

I used similar idea in my alchemy mod where there're 2 types of gold amalgamation:
1) It takes cinnabar to produce mercury and recieve gold using amalgamation method. It will take 1 gold nugget and return 1 gold bar and 1 more gold bar with 50% chance.

2) (THIS ONE USES SIMILAR MECHANISM) It takes cinnabar to produce mercury and recieve gold using amalgamation method. Then it makes cinnabar by heating mercury with sulphur. It will take 1 gold nugget and return 1 gold bar and 1 more gold bar with 50% chance. It will return you cinnabar (90% chance) and sulphur (65% chance).

Reactions can be fun.
I want to find some actual "mythical" alchemy recipes though to add them too.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ArchMageOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »

It would be nice to add that skills can affect reaction chances as bloat (if it's not already there).

ArchMageOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 12:29:00 pm »

I have a couple more questions, so I thought I should put them here rather than start a new thread.

First, is there any way to make a new material explosive, or at least as flamable as alcohol?

Second, does anyone else make use of the reaction_classes for things like [REACTION_CLASS:SULFUR]? I may or may not get around to using it myself, but I was wondering if would make certain things easier or if there's a reason to avoid it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

To make something flammable, add an IGNITE_TEMP to it. It will burn merrily once it reaches that temp. The reason booze explodes is that objects inside a burning barrel are instantly set alight, and the ignite temp of booze is higher than its boiling temp, resulting in an instant evaporate-splosion.

And no particular reason to avoid reaction classes, just no real use for them. If you can think of any good reaction that can use one stone of a select few types, that cannot be similarly classified through other means, you can use reaction classes.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India