Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sieges and Megabeasts trigger and other questions  (Read 964 times)

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sieges and Megabeasts trigger and other questions
« on: May 23, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

Hi everyone

First of all, i'd like to say that i'm really totally ignorant on DF modding, and computer programming in general, so please keep that in mind when you answer and try to be as clear as possible (imagine you're explaining it to your grandma).

Here's my question :

Is it possible to alter the game files in order to make sieges and megabeasts happen when my fortress wealth hits 1 million (or another value), regardless of how many dwarves are in it?

On another topic :

Is it possible to replace lousy wild animals such as groundhogs, horses, foxes, raccoons, and so on with bigger, meaner beasts such as minotaurs, giant cougars, and such (so that, basically, any starting location is turned into a "Terrifying" area)?

Thanks for any help

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Sieges and Megabeasts trigger and other questions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

Replacing wildlife is a relatively simple procedure, but it might be a bit confusing for someone new to modding and it can cause some unfortunate consequences if you don't pay attention.  

As for sieges/megabeasts, I'm afraid that setting specific values is a little beyond the controls provided, or at least my knowledge in working them.

However, I think I have a suitable replacement for you.

Go into the Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects folder, and find the text file labeled "entity_default".  Look inside it until you find the goblin profile.  It's a massive block of text that you really don't need to pay attention to except for a couple tags near the bottom.  You are looking for "[BABYSNATCHER]" and "[AMBUSHER]".  Delete the tags by simply removing the text, and you've got yourself some fun times ahead.

What this does, essentially, is prevent goblins from sending child-snatching thieves or ambush parties.  This leaves them only one method of interacting with you:  sieging.

You can get sieges as early as the end of the first year, and they will just keep coming.  Doesn't matter how much your fort is worth or how many dwarves live in it, the goblins will siege.

You may find yourself slightly bogged-down with goblin junk, however.  If you look closer to the top of the goblin entry, you'll see a lot of stuff that looks like it's talking about various weapons, armor, clothes etc.  Well, it is.

Find every tag that relates specifically to clothing ("[ITEM:ITEM_HELMET_CAP:COMMON]", or something like that) and nuke it.  You now have naked (except for the weapons and armor, which you are going to leave in, right?) goblins that will attack you on a regular basis.

Hope that helps.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Bogdanov:
<STRONG>Is it possible to alter the game files in order to make sieges and megabeasts happen when my fortress wealth hits 1 million (or another value), regardless of how many dwarves are in it?</STRONG>

Nope.

quote:
Originally posted by Bogdanov:
<STRONG>Is it possible to replace lousy wild animals such as groundhogs, horses, foxes, raccoons, and so on with bigger, meaner beasts such as minotaurs, giant cougars, and such (so that, basically, any starting location is turned into a "Terrifying" area)?</STRONG>

Certainly. You can't force areas to be Terrifying (that's decided by worldgen), but you can certainly make any creature any strength you want it to be. Ways of doing this include upping the damage done by attacks, increasing size, changing to a [LARGE_PREDATOR] so that it actively hunts down your Dwarves and murders them, making them AMBUSHPREDATORS, upping DAMBLOCK, giving them the ability to destroy buildings, open doors, equip items, give them [UNDERSWIM] so that they're invisible to your Dwarves in water...

The list goes on.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:50:00 am »

By simply removing the token [BABYSNATCHER], i managed to get sieged during first year and it was epic :P Thanks a lot for the tip :-)

(I got slaughtered, but nevermind, at least it's getting spicy ^^)

But i also wanted to prevent goblins for using crossbows and bows, and i thought i would reach this result by editing the entity_default.txt file and removing those tags in the part that deals with goblins :

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BOW]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS]

The first year, there were only about a dozen goblins and they were all wielding maces and spears, but second year, a pack of archers goblins attacked and they raped me.

So how could i prevent gobs to use ranged weapons?

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 10:05:00 am »

You have to regen the world to make those changes I think. If you removed bows and crossbows from the entity they won't have access to them...
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law