Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: many hands/arms  (Read 1209 times)

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
many hands/arms
« on: May 22, 2008, 11:39:00 am »

How does having more than two hands affect gameplay in adventure/fortress mode? For example, if I gave dwarves four arms or something would they then walk around with two axes, one axe and three shields or simply keep the other hands spare?
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: many hands/arms
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 11:56:00 am »

I've played a four armed race in adventure mode. All those extra hands start with shields. It's a quick way to get to legendary shield user.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 12:44:00 pm »

They try to pick just 1 weapon according to their profession.
In adventure mode you can pick up to 4 weapons.
But in fact it doesn't change anything: you make 1 attack/tick anyway with your main hand weapon.
On the other side equipping shields (every shield equipped is counted toward the blocking chance) in these arms would be useful.
Also it's very imba =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 12:51:00 pm »

There's a difference when you're mobbed. If you strike an enemy, your weapon sticks and the enemy passes out, you can use other weapons in other hands to strike other enemies without spending time retreiving or swapping weapons.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>There's a difference when you're mobbed. If you strike an enemy, your weapon sticks and the enemy passes out, you can use other weapons in other hands to strike other enemies without spending time retreiving or swapping weapons.</STRONG>

I've not tried that, but I think only one hand is ever considered the weapon hand.  Any non-shield held in another hand is useless.  Unless you're implying that the player drops the stuck weapon and pulls a fresh one out of their pack (since it still has to go into the weapon hand to fight with it).

Oh, and on that note, I think the weapon hand is the first GRASP body part defined for the creature in question.  If you want them to wield weapons with their brain (psychic powers, maybe), you'd have to ensure that the grasping brain is defined before any hands.

[ May 22, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

Believe the words of Sean. If you have the weapon stuck you're trying the next attack avaliable (i.e. bashing with shield in usual circumstances).
If you're not sure, then tell me: your weapon is stuck in the goblin mayor's groin and you're trying to attack the goblin guard next to it. What happens?
Right, you attack with other hands and if you have no hands you use secondary attack biting (I consider you're playing without any modding).
This means that if you have more than 1 additional arm you'll strike with it.

[ May 22, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 10:17:00 pm »

But if you attack the enemy your weapon's stuck in, you'll only twist the weapon.  If you still have two arms, you have a free hand for punching.  Yet you still twist the weapon.  That would suggest that wielding a second weapon does nothing against a single target.  If it lets you strike a second target with weapon #2 while the first is stuck in an enemy, then that's news to me.  Pretty sweet, too.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »

Yes, you will be able to attack a second opponent with a different weapon, if you happen to have something in your other hand.  If you find that you've gotten your weapon stuck in a critter, try attacking something else.  You will bash them with your shield if you're holding one, or just punch them if you don't.