Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Number of civs?  (Read 831 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Number of civs?
« on: April 01, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

Anyone know the maximum number of civilizations that can be active? I've added in quite a few, and my last two EVIL races don't seem to actually show up at my fortress. They show up in the world gen, and on the embark screen, but when I get to the point where they should start effecting me I get a different evil race.

Do I just have too many? Or is something else going on?

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
Re: Number of civs?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

You can only interact with 4 major civilizations per fortress, and one (or more?) koboldy ones.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

Searching tells me:

1) There may be a limit of 15? But that was from a pretty old post.

2) Multiple civilizations competing for the same biomes have a tendency to cause the later-added ones never to appear.

EDIT: The fellow who ninja'd me has the most important limit for fortress mode, though. Hadn't read carefully enough.

[ April 01, 2008: Message edited by: Cavalcadeofcats ]

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »

Sorry, I should clarify.

I'm well aware of the limit of civs that can interact with a fort at one time. I've actually done some pretty extensive testing in that area.

So, I'm used to having different races show up in the embark screen. I've done most of my testing that way, and I'm used to having the races in the embark screen be the ones I interact with in game.

What's happening this time is that I get my Frost Giants showing up as the enemy in the embark screen, but I get hobgoblins or chaos dwarves or whatnot actually attacking me.

Hard to say what the limit is.

I've got 17 total civs.
3 Nuisance
6 Friendly (including dwarf)
8 Evil

I've seen all of the nuisance and friendly, but my latest two evil civs haven't shown up yet. Oddly, they aren't at the end of the files, either.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One