Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How To Mod  (Read 791 times)

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How To Mod
« on: May 21, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »

So I've been reading a lot of references in this site about modding things. So I want to mod into the game for Bronze Colossus to start sieging my fortress starting with the first winter, for spirit of fires to sneak into my fortress and steal stuff like kobolds, and for frog demons to attempt to kidnap dwarven children. How would I go about doing this?  Would I need to download certain programs?  If so where can I find these programs?
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Kantolin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www2.hawaii.edu/~nurbert/Webpagejunk/KantolinEntry.htm
Re: How To Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

This may help you: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Modding_Guide

While I'm unsure about the Bronze Colossus, it does give you ideas on how to do the other two.  All you need to do is edit the raw files present in dwarf fortress.

eginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it''s a coincidence
~ Final Fantasy Tactics

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

The most complex thing about Modding DF is learning what the tags do. Browse this and you'll be set.

And no, you don't need any special programs to mod, just a text editor. I use Notepad.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »

Also... you'd better have some mean dwarves to stand up to that!
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »

All you need to start editing the raw object files (the stuff creatures are in) is a text editor. Notepad will work fine.

Edit: I really should work on my Reading, seems that my dabbling skill level caused me to miss Dasleah's post >.<
Feel free to ignore me.

[ May 21, 2008: Message edited by: Surma ]

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »

Appears like something you learn through experimentation.  Thanks for the advice so far.  Sounds interesting but still a little limited.  Is there a way to access the source code?
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »

Nope. DF is closed-source. You have the raws to fool with, but apart from that, there's nothing.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Nope. DF is closed-source. You have the raws to fool with, but apart from that, there's nothing.</STRONG>

O well.  I'm sure it will be fun either way.