Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How difficult?  (Read 1385 times)

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
How difficult?
« on: March 28, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

How difficult would it be to make an aquatic race playable in fort mode?
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How difficult?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »

really really hard as you cant build buildings in water and items get moved ect. it would be ahuge pain in the ass if its even possible ive seen several topic about this and they always find its to much trouble =\ but if you would like to try please do as this would be a cool mod   :D  good luck
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

Impossible.  Buildings cannot be built underwater.  The only way to manage something like that would be to drain out the area beforehand, build the buildings, and then re-flood it.

If you don't mind this, and you're perfectly fine with building things on dry ground, then it is ridiculously simple.  [AMPHIBIOUS], and [UNDERSWIM].

[UNDERSWIM] just allows the creature to swim deeper than the top level of water.  I'm assuming that's a desired feature.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »

I thougth it totaly messes up the pathfinding to a point at which it is impossible to play
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »

I think that's flying.  Underswimming should work, but I can't say I've actually tested it.   It's quite possible that it's got the same problems.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

I admit I've never tried it either, but I've heard from another poster (who's name I can't remember offhand) that it has the exact same AI problems as flying does.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 12:39:00 am »

Well, I was prepare to accept 'imposible' as an answer and I think it;s bee provided. Thanks guys.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E