Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Creatures  (Read 1473 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about Creatures
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:42:00 am »

I am fond of capturing creatures which scurry about.  This includes things like those with 'man' after their archetype: Batman, Slugman, Snailman, Olmman.  I wanted to make them 'trainable' so that I could make them pets, and also so that I could make them War pets.  The problem I am encountering is that when I do so, if I ever release them from their cage to place in another cage, they will often not be put into their designated new cage.  Those inside cages slowly die of hunger and thirst (those outside cages have done so too).  Those outside of cages drink water from the nearby pond and get hungry, then eat my food.  While I find this cool, the fact that many of them simply won't eat or drink, thus they die with time, is annoying.  They never needed to eat or drink when they were random creatures milling about in the crevace harassing my dwarves every so often... How do I fix this short of adding the No_Eat sorts of tags?  Is it because they are intelligent that this happends?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Creatures
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:49:00 am »

Eating, drinking, and not breeding seem to be exclusive traits of [INTELLIGENT] creatures.  You don't actually need tht tag to begin with, if you're just going for training.  The only tags that affect whether or not a creature can be tamed/trained, are [PET] and [TRAINABLE].  [PET_EXOTIC] if you'd rather have a dungeon master for it.

Interesting that you could tame them when they were intelligent creatures...  It bears looking into.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:02:00 am »

Oops, sorry, I didn't mean that they had the [INTELLIGENT] tag.  I meant that they [CAN SPEAK] and [CAN LEARN] ^.^  Hmm, now that I look at it, why are all antmen female?  The only female should be the queen...

Here is what I have for antmen, as an example, because they were the first to begin dieing of thirst and hunger.  Basically all I have done is add pet and trainable tags to everything.  Oh, and every creature in the game that doesn't die to become ashes or a statue is butcherable (which is silly if I ever butcher fire imp corpses: the meat catches anything on fire that it is put into.  I lost a fortress to a massive fire in the food area before figuring that problem out.  Now I just set seperate fire imp meat stockpiles.  Also, when butchered, the fire imp's fat boils off immediately in a harmless but cool looking cloud.  You can always tell when they have just butchered a fire imp ^.^)

[CREATURE:ANTMAN]
   [NAME:antman:antmen:antman]
   [TILE:'a'][COLOR:0:0:1]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]
   [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
   [FREQUENCY:100]
   [GENPOWER:4]
   [BLOODTYPE:W]
   [CAN_LEARN][CAN_SPEAK][TRAINABLE][PET][PETVALUE:200]
   [CANOPENDOORS]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:7]
   [LARGE_PREDATOR]
   [PREFSTRING:mystery]
   [BODY:HUMANOID_4ARMS:2EYES:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:MOUTH]
   [BODYGLOSS:INSECT_UPPERBODY:INSECT_LOWERBODY]
   [SIZE:4]
   [MAXAGE:3:4]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP :punch :punches:1:2:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:2:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [FEATURE_ATTACK_GROUP]
   [NO_SLEEP]
   [EQUIPS]
   [FAT:1]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
   [FEMALE]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10040]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]

Chaz Turbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:52:00 am »

I thought the only male social insects were drones, the others besides the queen were either sterile or had their fertility suppressed.

Back to topic, I thought the only tag that caused creatures to eat, drink and sleep were those with [CAN_CIV] (which is, with [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK], implied by [INTELLIGENT]).  Maybe the some of the tags have been tweaked?

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

It depends.  The ant lineages have gone many ways, there's examples of all forms in them.  In bees you are correct, males tend to be drones, as far as I know (at least in the more highly social bees and wasps).  I... could be wrong...

Hmmm... Suddenly I am thinking of putting Beepeople into the game...  Here I go ^.^

And... Myconids... Got to have myconids...

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

No, most drone colony type insects have sterile females as their workforce. Males are rare.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

Pretty sure the only male ants are born to breed and then die.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 12:52:00 am »

Pickerel, I don't know what type of myconid do you want, but there's a DnD one:

code:

[BODYGLOSS:CAP:head:cap]
[BODYGLOSS:UPPERSTEM:upper body:upper stem]
[BODYGLOSS:LOWERSTEM:lower body:lower stem]

code:

[CREATURE:MYCONID]
   [NAME:myconid:myconids:myconid]
   [TILE:'M'][COLOR:3:0:0]
   [GENPOWER:3]
   [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD]
   [NO_GENDER]
   [CAN_LEARN]
   [EXTRACT:myconid spores:6:0:1]
   [EXTRACT_STUN_INTERMITTENT]
   [EXTRACT_ANTIDOTE:myconid detoxicator:7:0:0:100]
   [CANOPENDOORS][CHITIN]
   [BLOODTYPE:W]
   [PREFSTRING:spores]
   [BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:MOUTH]
   [BODYGLOSS:CAP:UPPERSTEM:LOWERSTEM]
   [SIZE:8]
   [DAMBLOCK:1]
   [MAXAGE:300:800]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:breathe spores:breathes spores:1:2:COLD][SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:50:100]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:1:4:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:STANCE:kick:kicks:1:3:BLUDGEON]
   [FAT:3]
   [EQUIPS]
   [NOCTURNAL]
   [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10067]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:4]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:5:10]
   [LAYERING:40]
   [SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIM_SPEED:2500]