Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some help with modding...  (Read 1616 times)

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
Some help with modding...
« on: April 21, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

I'm adding a few creatures to my game, and I want to know, will my new creatures (Orcs) attack and siege like goblins? I copy-pasta'd the goblin code and plan on altering that, but I'm wondering if the goblin sieges are hard-coded or not.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Some help with modding...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:16:00 pm »

They should as long as you copy-pasted the entity file too.  But you seem to only get 1 enemy group per fortress.  So if you wanna make sure you get orcs instead of goblins you need to check civ access before embarking.  Some spots will have one some will have the other.  With no rhyme or reason from what I've seen so far.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

Darn. It'd be interesting if you could get, i'unno, a huge combined party of 'em. It'd be sweet.

Where is this entity file?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

entity_default.txt, it's in the same folder.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

Okay, found the file. However... can I leave the goblin one? Just copy-pasta and change the name, or do I have to get rid of gobbos and replace with orcs?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

If you copy and paste and change the name, it should work. Again, though, you can't get both Goblins and Orcs in the same location.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

Okay, I'd like my orcs to be accompanied by a creature, like the gobbos get trolls. How would I do that? Is it a certain tag?

EDIT: Okay, creature done, but I can't find it on any map. How should I go about finding this thing, to make sure it works correctly?

[ April 23, 2008: Message edited by: Fualkner ]

[ April 23, 2008: Message edited by: Fualkner ]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 09:44:00 pm »

Really the only thing you can do is go looking for it.  Honestly I myself have never so much as SEEN a troll outside of 2D but I know they exist.

Really the only way you can be sure is to play dwarf mode to the point where goblins would bring trolls and hope you get yer creature instead.  

I myself gave goblins and orcs* a flying wyvern mount like beak dogs, but my FPS usually slows to a crawl long before I get anywhere near the point where they would use siege creatures.

*I made my own orcs a loooong time ago.  I think somebody else actually posted raws for some too.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

Yes, I'm not going to release this as a mod, at least not yet. I'll change some names, make more creatures, ect.

And the thing I made is a wild animal. I'm going to the right biomes, but all I get is groundhogs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 11:24:00 pm »

Maybe try adding [LARGE_PREDATOR] to the creature and wandering around in the relevant biome and hope one ambushes you?  If it works you can just remove it when yer done.

Another way is by using the companion to change a nearby creature into the thing you want to test, then saving and reloading so it gets most of the relevant parts and such.  But that method hasn't been proven to work completely yet, some behavioral and temp things and such may carry over from the old creature.  Also you may want to toss the world out afterwards.  Transforming a human mayor into a dragon or something may have odd hist figure effects.

EDIT: And I don't blame ya myself for not releasing.  Most stuff I made hasn't been released. I only got a couple things on my wiki page, a custom plant and metal, and a half finished pokemod posted on DFFD.  Thats maybe...10%.

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]