Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nerfing Ranged Weapons  (Read 2164 times)

Zardus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nerfing Ranged Weapons
« on: May 14, 2008, 09:51:00 pm »

I'm starting a fort with the goal being a nice, safe, untrapped area. My last fort had so many traps that out of the latest siege of like 60 goblins, only one bleeding, mangled, half-of-a-goblin managed to stumble into my main courtyard before being ripped apart by 20 champion of various abilities. I want nice big battles this time.

The problem is that every time I engaged them in melee (by running out to the edge before they hit my traps), I lost like everyone to ranged dudes. What I want to do is decrease the power of ranged weapons so that they are more inline with melee weapons. While this might decrease the realism, it would increase the fun, IMO.

I understand I should mess with the damage in item_ammo.txt. What should I put it to? 100 is less than some of the melee weapons have, but it's way too powerful. Would 50 be too low? I'd still like bows and crossbows to have an effect, just not such a deadly one.

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
Re: Nerfing Ranged Weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »

I've read somewhere that even altering the values ---- ranged weapons still are scary.

What you SHOULD do is up the reload time to something insane. I think.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:01:00 pm »

I don't think you can mess with the reload time by modifying files. I just removed ranged weapons from the dwarven and goblin arsenals entirely. Humans still shoot at things from time to time, but I figure, hey, they're probably shooting at the zombie camels, so more power to them.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

make the damage type BLUDGEON.  That will prevent the massive organ piercing.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Zardus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:06:00 am »

Karlito, thanks!

I'll set it to bludgeon and maybe put the damage down a bit.

After editing these raws, do I have to re-gen the world?

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zardus:
<STRONG>Karlito, thanks!

I'll set it to bludgeon and maybe put the damage down a bit.

After editing these raws, do I have to re-gen the world?</STRONG>

Wait, 50 is too high. I have 2 reccomendations.

First, either set the damage to 5 for piercing damage or 30 for slash. That way, bolts wont knock people back, and they will still cause blood and all that cool stuff.

Second, I don't think you need to start a new game.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:43:00 am »

Regardless of what damage type you give it, they'll still pierce organs like there's no tomorrow.  And there's not a thing you can do about it.

Zardus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 11:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Regardless of what damage type you give it, they'll still pierce organs like there's no tomorrow.  And there's not a thing you can do about it.</STRONG>

Is that because of how the game handles thrown/ranged things? I noticed that throwing stuff in adventure mode is lethal as well...

Would having 5 damage for piercing like Slappy Moose suggested make the organ piercing less deadly? Has anyone played with this and collected any results?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 12:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zardus:
<STRONG>

Is that because of how the game handles thrown/ranged things? I noticed that throwing stuff in adventure mode is lethal as well...

Would having 5 damage for piercing like Slappy Moose suggested make the organ piercing less deadly? Has anyone played with this and collected any results?</STRONG>

#
What certainly does make it less deadly, is denying goblins and kobolds the use of bows and crossbows.

For the sake of fairness, i usually dont train crossbowdwarfs, too. It's more fun to have 20 dwarves stand against the onslaught of however many goblins join the fun  :)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

In order to make the organ piercing less deadly, you have to miss.  But if you reduce the bolt damage to such an extreme level, the only shots that will actually do any damage (due to the inherent defense that bare skin provides) will be the ones that do organ-piercing damage.  It will severely limit their usefullness, but it won't take the bite out of them completely.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

The only effective way to limit this severe damage from bolts is to break up the body into small attackable parts (as Deon started to do in his merged pack), but as long as there's no way for a larger attack to hit several parts at once, this system isn't acceptable.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 04:08:00 pm »

you can lower the damage in the raws, which helps somewhat. You can set the damage to blunt which also helps a little (IIRC they won't pierce organs but they will still crit alot and crush limbs and mash heads and such which is nearly as bad). Setting the damage down to 1 and setting the damage type to blunt might be enough - I never really played with it much to find out how powerful they were overall.

FWIW ranged weapons are not really that overpowered compared to shield use and to a lesser degree wrestling. Ranged squads only destroy civilians trying to run and unskilled soldiers, once you have some good champions with legendary+5 shield use (maybe 2 years of sparring if that) it's a non-issue because they will never get hit anyway. Nerf ranged too much and you might as well remove invaders from your game as they will never kill anyone.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »

Strange that ammo types don't have a critical boost. That was my first suggestion, but i guess only melee weapons have the tag.

10 dmg is a little low, especially since whacking someone with a blowgun does 20, and whacking them with a crossbow does 70. Maybe setting it to a low damage with the damage type set to Gore would be good. So you wouldnt have a dwarf with 900 bolts sticking out of him laughing it off, a couple and he'd be pretty likely to live, but maybe passed out from pain for awhile.