Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Presence trade liaisons  (Read 1094 times)

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Presence trade liaisons
« on: September 20, 2024, 07:15:13 pm »

I receive an Outpost liaisons for my dwarf civilization. I, however, do not seem to be receiving trade liaisons from the other 2 races (Human, Elf). have been playing the game for a long time. I used to receive liaisons from both races. What circumstances determine whether or not you will receive a trade liaison from human or elf races?

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Presence trade liaisons
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2024, 07:59:49 pm »

Elven civs don't have trader positions, and human civs only sometimes create trader positions. The older the world the more likely they are to have one, generally.

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2024, 08:54:52 pm »

I have gotten them from elves in previous versions of the game.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2024, 06:13:39 pm »

I have gotten them from elves in previous versions of the game.
Not unless you were modding, you haven't - the only positions Elves ever have are Druid, Acolye, Princess, Queen, Diplomat, and Ranger Captain, and none of those have the TRADE responsibility which would permit them to negotiate import/export agreements with your fortress.

Edit: and back in 40d and earlier (back when all positions were hardcoded), only civs with [MERCHANT_NOBILITY] had trade liaisons, and that only included Humans.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 11:15:55 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2024, 07:35:59 pm »

I have been playing a LONG time...

Got my start shortly after the z level was introduced.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2024, 03:00:52 pm »

There are zero mentions on elven trade liaisons on the wiki, or in any piece of documentation regarding this game. Are you sure that you aren't misremembering things?
Perhaps you once installed a mod that permitted elven civilizations to have trade liaisons.
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2024, 03:42:13 pm »

It's possible that bugs existed in some of the early 0.27 releases which caused Elves to get Guild Representatives (and Merchant Barons/Princes) by mistake.

It's also possible that you had an "Elf Guild Representative" that actually belonged to a Human civilization - that was definitely possible (and I know, because one of my 40d fortresses had one), but that wouldn't have given you trade agreements with the Elves, only the Humans.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2024, 05:55:25 pm »

Maybe what Randomizer remembers is the elven tree diplomat.  They never did trade agreements, though, only logging quotas.