Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allow other size text tilesheets / make text look good.  (Read 179 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Allow other size text tilesheets / make text look good.
« on: September 14, 2024, 10:53:20 pm »

The game requires an 8x12 text tilesheet to function properly, but it's having to upscale that to use it, which looks bad.

If you use a larger tileset that doesn't need upscaling, the mini map doesn't work quite right.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Allow other size text tilesheets / make text look good.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2024, 08:33:29 am »

The game requires an 8x12 text tilesheet to function properly, but it's having to upscale that to use it, which looks bad.

If you use a larger tileset that doesn't need upscaling, the mini map doesn't work quite right.

If the game looks like that, you might have something misconfigured - the text isn't supposed to look blocky like that at all unless you're running in Classic ASCII mode and are using a custom zoom level (via Ctrl+Scrollwheel).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Allow other size text tilesheets / make text look good.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2024, 12:35:06 pm »

I switched to nearest-neighbor upscaling earlier to make the graphics sharper while zoomed out.

There's also an option in the settings to disable "Scale interface to fit grid height/width" that will prevent the upscaling of the UI. Or for a 1080p display, you can change the "170" and "64" to "120" and "80" for desired grid width/height.

UI with UI scaling disabled:

The lanczos3 scaling looks okay on text.

UI with lanczos3 upscaling:

I still wish other-sized tilesets worked.