Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to access objects in a magma tile?  (Read 637 times)

Elvedritsche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to access objects in a magma tile?
« on: September 05, 2024, 07:47:54 am »

Hi,

I found one of that 7 misteries, but the item is located in a tile of magma 7/7. How to grab it? The tile is surrounded by only one diagonal magma tile 7/7. The rest of the neighbours is still covered.

Digging around is not a good idea because I then release some heavy fun from the underworld. I tried to flood but it seems that the item is lost by converting magma into obsidian.

Any hints?

Joachim

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to access objects in a magma tile?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2024, 07:19:12 pm »

Digging around is not a good idea because I then release some heavy fun from the underworld. I tried to flood but it seems that the item is lost by converting magma into obsidian.

the item should be recoverable if you dig out the resulting obsidian tile

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2024, 02:52:46 am »

You can build a pump and pump the magma into a room, where it will evaporate.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Elvedritsche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2024, 09:15:54 am »

You can build a pump and pump the magma into a room, where it will evaporate.

I also thought about that opportunity. But I am wondering from where to get the power for operating a pump. There is no magma flow on elevation -88.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2024, 11:04:55 pm »

One, pumps can be powered by dwarves (via the pump operator skill). For a single tile, you just need to run it for a second.  Two, flowing magma cannot power water wheels anyway, and "magma flow" tiles are unrelated to liquid movement.  Anyway, if you do build a pump, make sure to use magma-safe materials such as iron or glass.