Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Spreadsheet for Making Clothes for All Creatures that can Equip Them.  (Read 1054 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

So I wanted to know, for adventurer games, what clothing in what sizes I need to manufacture to make sure i've made equipment for every species in the game that can equip them. The obvious answer is to just make a few sets for every single species, but knowing that creatures can equip anything made for a species that is less than 1/7 larger or smaller than themselves, I decided I need to know which species cover the largest ranges of other species, and therefore reduce the number of different sizes I need to manufacture for. But I couldn't find any resources to tell me that. So I decided that, obviously instead of doing things the easy but slow way I needed to make a resource I (and others) could refer to as a guide.

So I made an XL spreadsheet. But I don't own microsoft office so of course it's actually an OpenXL spreadsheet. Here's what that looks like:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, in order of ascending sizes: Kobold, Honey Badger man, Emu man, Cougar man, Kangaroo man, deer man, grizzly bear man, elk man, moose man, One humped camel man. and that will cover nearly all of them. Then there's the few that can't share clothing with other species. And then there are still species that you can't make clothing for, at least in vanilla or without dfhacking one of them as a member of your fort.

And here is a link to the file:

Openoffice document; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nbvO9QC7MO6x53_gII5jdbmAXIDgypFU/view?usp=drive_link
PDF format; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w3nj1T8aEPIyhFeDEqTFx9OnQSGI-qpr/view?usp=drive_link

Now I know I made a lot of mistakes while making this and had to fix them. Let me know if any of you find anything that needs to be corrected.

[EDIT] Already found a bunch of errors on sizes, spreadsheet updated.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 12:00:08 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile

Thank you for creating this spreadsheet Eric Blank. I think knowing the different clothing sizes is really useful for properly equipping the wide variety of sizes in the game.

There's a table on the wiki https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/List_of_creatures_by_adult_size that has some information on sizes as well, but I think the spreadsheet does a good job of laying out the size brackets you listed:
So, in order of ascending sizes: Kobold, Honey Badger man, Emu man, Cougar man, Kangaroo man, deer man, grizzly bear man, elk man, moose man, One humped camel man.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Amazing work Eric!

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Excellent, thank you Eric!

I spotted an error though, maybe? Its possible you may know something I don't though. You are a much veteran than I am at this game.

Ant-men.

Because of castes work, the size of clothes will always be for whatever the largest caste is from the species.
Queen ant people are pretty big, 200,000, as opposed to the wiki's stated 20000, which is for its smallest caste.

However, you list 72500 for Ant-People? Now, I thought you maybe you averaged the sizes of the castes, but that would be 62500 as opposed to 72500.
So if you were averaging the castes, perhaps this is an error?

Whether or not there is an error of averaging, there's actually a more notable issue, which is that I'm fairly confident that clothes which are sized for a species will always fitted for the size of its largest caste, hence where one of the major reasons that robust and very dynamic multi-caste systems for intelligent creatures have been so difficult to implement in modding.

----

Interesting thing though about gremo'lenz and trullz and the like. You know, if they're a can't speak species, or they're tamable intelligent pet thing. (At least in versions prior to 5.+, which needs more testing) you'll encounter issues with assigning those creatures new labors. However, if they show up at the fort with skill points already in the clothesmaking, or whatever, they'll have those relevant labors enabled by default.

This means, if the creature goes to make clothes, which it can, and if you don't specify a size, the creature will make those clothes for its own species by default, regardless of whether or not you are able to actually specify those clothing sizes manually.

So its a way of bypassing that limitation. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 03:51:30 pm by dikbutdagrate »

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think clothing size is based on the size of the last defined caste rather than the largest. Which is still queen ant women in this case.

Sentient pets can be assigned labors with no issues in v50.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I dont think there is any error in the size of clothing they can wear, because testing it in the arena shows they (as in, both workers (smallest cast) and queens (largest caste)) can wear equipment fit for anything from hyena man size to kangaroo man size (65000 to 80000). Anaconda men are too large and dwarves are too small.

to calculate the size, I did average the caste sizes, which are

20000 - worker
  20000 - drone
  50000 - soldier
+ 200000 - queen
_________
/ 4
_________

So, all castes wear the same size range of clothing, and they definitely fit in between hyena men and kangaroo men by testing. I suppose it could be tested by making a couple creatures sized ~62143 and ~82856 and make sure they can wear their clothes, since those are the very ends of their size range from calculation.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Stoneinkberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Spreadsheet for Making Clothes for All Creatures that can Equip Them.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2024, 02:34:03 pm »

I just realized the topic is not as old as I thought and I can thank you without necroing. I'm building a town based on different animal peoples and your list is invaluable in calculating which sizes I need to produce to cover as much citizen as possible. Working as a charm for me!