Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traumatized dwarves  (Read 1095 times)

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Traumatized dwarves
« on: August 13, 2024, 07:11:59 am »

Some time ago a few troglodytes managed to enter my base and were promptly beat to death by my dwarves. Two dwarves seem to have been completely taken aback by this and one of them has had her mood sitting at the "red level" with no sign of recovery. How can I remedy this?
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Traumatized dwarves
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2024, 06:31:55 pm »

Check the four sub-tabs of the dwarf's Personality tab. First step is to identify the events this dwarf is most upset about. Only time will stop the current effect of traumatic events, but you might see opportunities to stop that type of event from effecting the dwarf further. Second step is to identify methods to increase short-term happiness, to offset the unhappiness while time heals them.

Dwarfs enjoy or need different things, so the details will be relevant. The wiki has pages for Traits and the other sub-tabs of the Personality tab. So you can check on each important-sounding bit of info you find.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2024, 07:02:28 pm »

Thanks for the advice, will try.
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2024, 10:22:10 am »

Also just generally, keep the dwarf drunk, with a big a variety of alcohol as you have, and either put them in the military or make them craft things, also assign them a room if they don't have one and put very valuable things in it.

Or in the case of most of my forts anyone who has a red :-( for more than a month or a year usually meet a unfortunate accident at some point........