Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Palette for wall and floor tiles.  (Read 1475 times)

lukesleftleg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Palette for wall and floor tiles.
« on: May 22, 2024, 04:29:44 am »

Hi all.

It's been a while since I played, but I've got right into the steam version recently.

Thing is, I love almost all the new graphics, except for the smoothed and engraved walls (although the metal ones are pretty good).

And so I've been trying to make my own. As far as I can see, there's very little on the web about the new graphics system specifically for the walls and floors, but I've been able to reverse-engineer some stuff, mostly through trial and error, although I have consulted some of the mods on Steam Workshop.

I wonder if anyone could confirm my findings so far?

Mainly, I've discovered that unless you use a very specific palette for the walls and floors, the game doesn't render the graphics in the colours of the stone that's been smoothed, but rather, it'll just render it all in whatever colours you used, regardless if it's smoothed Orpiment or Obsidian.

As far as I can tell, there are six 'allowable' colours, if you want your Bauxite walls to be red, and your Malachite walls to be green. Please see the first spoiler for the exact colours I've identified.

Does anyone know if I'm heading in the right direction with this?

(Or what would be very good news would be if someone told me that there was a whole gradient of colours that could be used for this effect. Wouldn't matter if it's monochrome, but the palette colours suggest otherwise).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, just for fun and learnings, and also because I'm most used to the Phoebus set (please come back soon Phoebus), I've designed some walls that aren't exactly the same as the Phoebus set, but which are heavily influenced by it. It's far from perfect, and I'll probably come back and do a better version, but if you like it, then please help yourself.

(Yeah, I know it's supposed to be a full mod, and my vanilla_environment images folder is a real mess, but I'm currently still messing around teaching myself).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, please discuss.  :)

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Re: Palette for wall and floor tiles.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2024, 11:12:24 pm »

There's actually 17 colors that get replaced with material colors - the top row of this image shows what will get replaced.

See here (https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Graphics#Palettes) for more information.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII