Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves should be hairy  (Read 278 times)

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves should be hairy
« on: August 16, 2024, 08:44:05 pm »

Too many dwarves (of either gender) are clean shaven. They should not be. That’s it that’s the suggestion.
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves should be hairy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2024, 10:14:18 pm »

I quite like how different dwarven cultures have different opinions on hair. The dwarf meme tends to glorify their beard to nigh-sacred levels, and the entity says that their facial hair should be kept long. I also enjoy that beardless male dwarves look the same in armor as female dwarves, subverting a visual gender binary when the game does not otherwise model gender diversity.
You are right, though, that the preferred length token should probably weight the chance of the "clean shaven" option.

The cultural tissue shaping (sounds so visceral when said like that) being more relevant and/or dynamic is part of the entity improvements in the roadmap, there's some immediate plans for goblin mohawks and quick changes to support the default stuff for Adventure mode.
If I may add my own ideas into the mix, vanilla civs should have their tissue stylings developed more than just "ok, no more double braids". Make those elven men shave their visually-unrepresented beards, and human beards tend to look pretty dwarfy anyways due to their great length without even joining the mountain civ.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII