Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal aggressiveness in savage areas  (Read 232 times)

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal aggressiveness in savage areas
« on: August 13, 2024, 07:26:14 am »

Maybe animals in savage areas should display similar aggressive behaviors to those of the older versions, to really sell the idea that this is a hostile and untamed land? This would be distinct from agitation, where animal purposely seek you out of course.
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Animal aggressiveness in savage areas
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2024, 05:09:42 pm »

I wouldnt mind this if;
a) the agitation mechanic (i.e. deliberately attempting to enter the fort and kill dwarves) is delayed and takes greater levels of agitation to reach and
b) the early effects of agitation are replaced by animals having an increasingly high chance to become enraged and attack other creatures on-sight and enter lethal combat instead of an encounter, but not intentionally pursuing them.

I do usually change the agitation settings in savage embarks now, because it happens very early and theres no warning or lead-up to it, youre just suddenly beset by giant birds.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal aggressiveness in savage areas
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2024, 07:03:38 pm »

I agree with your sentiment (and proposed change), making the agitation “meter” degrade faster would also be wise.
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.