Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]

Author Topic: The Opinionated Bastards: a BattleTech/MekHQ Mercenary Campaign (Dec. 31, 3053)  (Read 93145 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting to see this back in the air!

I can say that StratCon can be fun, but unlike regular MegaMek rules, you are heavily, heavily punished for having elite pilots and assault-weight lances. Or worse, both.

Generating scenarios based on your lance BV rather than by random roll based on a table that adjusts by lance's weight means you never get easy missions - and because the lance used to generate the hostile BV isn't necessarily the Lance assigned to the mission, your light, low BV lance might run into 30k+ enemy BV because they rolled forces based on your elite, assault weight lance.

What made me give up on it was one of the special missions rolled, where you needed to deal with enemy rioters composed largely of infantry with some IndustrialMechs mixed in. And an enemy force. And enemy reinforcements. And enemy aerospace forces. Did I mention the rioters were 108 units strong, with a reinforced battalion worth of enemy 'Mechs on the field versus my company (because I got lucky with reinforcements) and an allied lance?

Slogging through that mission took me about 12 hours of play time across three days, and it was only doable because the mission parameters were inhospitable to infantry, so they all got wiped from the board on turn one. But a 40 on 16 fight was a slog and a half on its own.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words

Interesting—I didn't run into anything that felt unfair, even with three high-BV lances. (Drake and Co., obviously; Rook's lance is pretty up there, and wherever Simona and the Stormcrow go gets pretty ridiculous too, what with the ultra-elite pilot and the Ultra AC/20.)

I have the battle generation settings cranked down to 'very easy', since I don't have the chops to beat Princess without heavy losses on roughly even ground, and I think that bears on when the StratCon generator stops adding OPFOR. Most of the fights I've seen have felt pretty balanced.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]