Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alien Horizons - Dwarf Fortress of colony survival sims?  (Read 1229 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Alien Horizons - Dwarf Fortress of colony survival sims?
« on: June 20, 2024, 03:35:46 am »

So I came across this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2767480/Alien_Horizon_Preview_Alpha/

It seems to be a lot like DF, an ambitious space colony simulator done by a singular dude. It is free, but you can donate by buying DLC. So far it seems deeper than Surviving Mars was before DLC. The difficulty curve is strange and the game doesn't always communicate why something happens, but the basis is solid. If you are into survival simulators, maybe you'd like to check it out.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Horizons - Dwarf Fortress of colony survival sims?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 04:48:13 am »

If you try it out, some tips to avoid the first death plunges:

1) Try to be self-sufficient with energy as much as possible. Turning on the reactor when you must is okay, but the fuel is finite.

2) Use surveyors first to find water, water is important. Then sulphur and last iron. When you have some usable deposits, send them to explore. You can find critical resources in cargo ships nearby.

3) Get water mining going first, then start making concrete (needs sulphur). The supplies you start with are meager and every building needs it.

4) After concrete, you need a biology lab. Research farming asap and get some greenhouses.

5) Life support is important. It can plunge momentarily due to inefficient workers etc, so always have some spare. Build more auxilaries when you plan to expand.

6) Pipes can't be crossed by traffic and they don't carry life support, only liquids and electricity. So plan accordingly.

7) When you get engineering lab going, get logistics building first. It is a must to get more trucks, tankers and busses going.

8 ) Community center keeps the morale up and having a doctor's office there helps too.

9) Start making glass after your steel production is up. Laminated glass is necessary in small amounts for many things and you can't find it from cargo ships.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 05:09:57 am by Majestic7 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2024, 10:00:31 pm »

Just note that it's an Alpha.  They will presumably release another, updated version for money later.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2024, 04:42:43 pm »

Only noticed now that there is a thread for this. Just going to repeat what I said elsewhere - the game is great! So nerdy. Much hardcore.

Buggy as heck in its current state (don't do buses! - they seem to work great at first, but then your colonists start dying of dehydration waiting for their ride in bumfuck nowhere).
Also, memory handling is bad - 8GB RAM won't be enough once your colony gets to around 1.5k. Which is what happened in my case, so I'm putting it down for until the rewritten version is out. I've sunk a hundred hours in it already.

I'm kinda loving the quiet desperation vibe it's exuding ;) The inexorable march of entropy filling up your refuse stockpiles, the race against the dwindling stocks of Earth-made gear, hope as a resource, the fear of not enough children being born.
Putting up a few buildings or setting up a production chain to postpone the looming crisis feels like an achievement.
I don't quite get how, but it nonetheless feels very relaxing.

Just note that it's an Alpha.  They will presumably release another, updated version for money later.
I saw the lass stating she wants to keep the donationware model throughout the development. Unless it won't pan out. So support the dev!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 11:05:53 pm »

In that case, I would suggest downloading it here, as it's easier to donate when downloading then Steam.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2024, 11:25:44 am »

This game's already good, and I'm eager to see where it goes in the future.

I didn't notice until partway through my third run that there's a button to auto-take resources from ships. It's off of the stockpiles button in the lower right.

Buggy as heck in its current state (don't do buses! - they seem to work great at first, but then your colonists start dying of dehydration waiting for their ride in bumfuck nowhere).
I expect that bigger colonies want airlocks as bus stops. I haven't tried yet because they're annoying to place and I forgot to leave space for them in my current run.
It would work better if the game warned about bus logistics being overloaded, instead of having to watch bus stops to see if people are still waiting at the stop after the bus leaves. As it is, I think the best bet is building enough houses everywhere that people don't have to walk far.
I'm afraid to try building streets. They block the path, so I think you want to build the streets first and then build everything around them, which means building an entirely new, and expensive, district if you want to use them.

I don't quite get how, but it nonetheless feels very relaxing.
Supplies are surprisingly forgiving after steel, concrete, and laminated glass, and stockpiles seem to fail at a varied enough rate that you only really have to scramble to boost production of one thing at a time. Which isn't even a scramble if you occasionally check what's getting low in the stockpiles.

If you try it out, some tips to avoid the first death plunges:

1) Try to be self-sufficient with energy as much as possible. Turning on the reactor when you must is okay, but the fuel is finite.
I like the fuel resource. It's a powerful consumable that's very helpful, but I don't feel like I need to hoard it and never use it. Normally I'm the guy who plays a JRPG and refuses to use full elixirs even on the last boss.

Things I've learned from my losses, spoilered in case anyone wants to figure the game out for themselves:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2024, 11:56:20 am »

I used to be frugal with uranium the first few runs. But then I learned to embrace it. There's enough in stock from all the cargo ships that the game will end for unrelated reasons way before they run out. It's more sustainable than scrambling to set up huge solar and wind farms from the get go, with all the resource/workload drain up front and from maintenance that it involves.

What I did start to run out of in my final game was geologists. The cryostats had none left after a while, and the geology school for some reason would not enrol more than a couple students at a time. Some way to prioritise education choices would be nice.

Since we're doing tips: don't be afraid of the 3d printer, folks. For way too long I kept putting off its construction, thinking it'd require a few other supply chains to operate properly, but it doesn't. Not early on, at least - it mainly makes use of all those polymers and copper and other intermediate shit that you find in the ships and had no use for before. Maybe some steel or aluminium. Solves any looming pipe or cable or plumbing shortage you may be worried about.

Another tip would be to raise the retirement age by 10 years and offset the morale hit with the full freedom of choice in which apartment to settle. The latter can be changed once you actually have any family houses to pick from. That way you have only a few retirees at a time, which normally start to appear 'round about when the children do. So you don't have to deal with such a large proportion of unproductive population appearing in your collony all of a sudden.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2024, 01:50:59 pm »

Can't you just build more geology schools?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2024, 02:11:54 pm »

The problem is with enrolment. There's plenty room in class as is.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2024, 08:49:54 pm »

Hm, does closing down the other schools and having unemployed folks help?