Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: The Fortress Of Friendlytreason | OVERSEERS WE NEED YOU  (Read 38618 times)

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress Of Friendlytreason | OVERSEERS WE NEED YOU
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2023, 12:06:54 am »

Number 2 decided to follow his curiosity and investigate the shiny metal that has never been excavated properly at the lowest cavern layer.

:::

A great roar filled the air as the iron gates of Friendlytreason Fortress were thrown open. The very foundation of the fortress shook as a powerful force of energy burst forth with a deafening sound. It was a hellish energy, filled with hatred and malice.

The air around the fortress turned to an acrid smoke, and the land around it began to burn. The flames spread quickly, consuming the walls of the fortress and setting the buildings ablaze. The cries of the people within could be heard, but there was nothing that could be done to save them.

The inhabitants of Friendlytreason were doomed to suffer an eternity of torment. From within the depths of the inferno came the sound of tortured screams and agonized howls. It was a sound that echoed throughout the night, a reminder of the suffering that awaited those who had dared to challenge the power of hell.

No one could escape the grip of the burning flame, and no one could hope to survive the onslaught of the damned. The noise of the inferno was deafening, and the heat was unbearable. As the fires started to burn, the screams of the damned gradually died away. All that remained would be charred and smoldering ruin, a testament to the power of hell.

Specter Of Shadow
Enormous blob composed of ash. Has broad shell and bloated body.

Pterosaur Fiend
Spiral shell, long and wavy hair. Poisonous gas.

Spirit of Embers
Dimetrodon composed of ash. Has wings.

Slug Devil
Feathered slug. Has wings. Noxious secretions.

Wrath of Soot
Quadruped composed of ash. Three stubby tails.

Specter of Steam
Humanoid composed of steam. Has knobby trunk.

Scorpion Fiend
Feathered scorpion. Wings. Poisonous sting.

Demon of Steam
A nightjar composed of Steam. Two tails, bloated body.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To be continued...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 05:26:03 pm by xkcd1963 »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2023, 07:29:11 am »

Atleast none of them have webs
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2023, 01:13:27 am »

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16507

After examining the old excavation site, number 2 erected a plan to prevent wildlife from a potential 4th cavern breach to infiltrate the fortress. The dwarves had never dug deeper and even though the magma prevented further downwards digging, the excavation material seemed to be durable enough to withstand the heat.

Year 238. As it stands, we are facing 20674 goblins:

Historical figures remaining (note the last polar bear man):

Events by type in Friendlytreason:

This is an all-inclusive forum, we care about all creatures in Gomathsil, doesn't matter caste, race or size!

Also, wtf:

Btw I'm at incredible 48 FPS! Is it maybe because so much cleaning has been made? The fortress is in top shape!

It has been only a small siege of about 20 goblins.

:::238-10-28:::
Number 2: A very distressed Number 5 approached me running and screaming that horrible creatures emerged from the 4th cavern layer. I tried to calm him down but he wouldn't listen. We activated all gears in order to close off the 4th cavern layer, just in case. What can be more horrible than a couple of zombies? He didn't see anything actually, only heard very frightening noises.
:::238-10-29:::
Number 2: Number 5 would not stop being in panic about yesterdays incident. I already warned him that he would be spending time with the pigs soon, but it made me think that we should probably investigate a little further. Number 5 usually has his head on the shoulders, and if he thinks this must be a new kind of monstrosity, maybe we can use this to our advantage.
:::238-11-02:::
Number 2: I decided to see how the current goblin visitors will fare against our new monstrosity. The gate that connects the surface with cavern 4 is not open...

The demons did a very short work of the goblins, on the same day there are no more remaining forces.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 02:25:09 am by xkcd1963 »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2023, 04:35:11 pm »

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16507

After examining the old excavation site, number 2 erected a plan to prevent wildlife from a potential 4th cavern breach to infiltrate the fortress. The dwarves had never dug deeper and even though the magma prevented further downwards digging, the excavation material seemed to be durable enough to withstand the heat.

Year 238. As it stands, we are facing 20674 goblins:

Historical figures remaining (note the last polar bear man):

Events by type in Friendlytreason:

This is an all-inclusive forum, we care about all creatures in Gomathsil, doesn't matter caste, race or size!

Also, wtf:

Btw I'm at incredible 48 FPS! Is it maybe because so much cleaning has been made? The fortress is in top shape!

It has been only a small siege of about 20 goblins.

:::238-10-28:::
Number 2: A very distressed Number 5 approached me running and screaming that horrible creatures emerged from the 4th cavern layer. I tried to calm him down but he wouldn't listen. We activated all gears in order to close off the 4th cavern layer, just in case. What can be more horrible than a couple of zombies? He didn't see anything actually, only heard very frightening noises.
:::238-10-29:::
Number 2: Number 5 would not stop being in panic about yesterdays incident. I already warned him that he would be spending time with the pigs soon, but it made me think that we should probably investigate a little further. Number 5 usually has his head on the shoulders, and if he thinks this must be a new kind of monstrosity, maybe we can use this to our advantage.
:::238-11-02:::
Number 2: I decided to see how the current goblin visitors will fare against our new monstrosity. The gate that connects the surface with cavern 4 is not open...

The demons did a very short work of the goblins, on the same day there are no more remaining forces.

Woah. What on earth? I'll have to check the save file, you made it sound like the fort was done for.

No idea how 48 fps is being managed after a hell breach. And these leech demons are pretty sweet. If it wasn't for their supernatural tag, they'd have the potential for becoming reverse vampires.

Suckugly the vomit of pus has to be the grossest name for a slab I've ever read.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 04:37:12 pm by dikbutdagrate »

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2023, 07:58:00 am »

19th of Opal 238
You've finally got your equipment together, such as it is. Now it's time for action and adventure! In the rush of excitement, you've forgotten where you were going to go. Perhaps some of your friends here can remind you.

I arrived in Necrogear after travelling from Axeshin to the west in hope to find an acquaintance; my ancient home was completely devoid of life since I last had checked a couple of years ago. Where did everyone go? I've many friends in Friendlydevils who I know since my earliest childhood, but it is a cursed place. Have all lost their mind and went there?

20th of Opal 238
Only after one day of travelling on a very dangerous path to Friendlydevils, I arrived at this cursed mountain of doom. It is currently snowing.
Approaching the shores of the fortress, I encounter what probably used to be a former lumberyard. Further investigation reveals that this place is litered with mangled skeletons, what an eerily sight. Climbing the mountain reveals some structures and I found a gate, but it is tightly closed.
Climbing further up I encountered the first living dwarf since I don't know how long. Mosus Consructpointy is a merchant. We talked a bit and he apparently a resident of Friendlytreason. Also he mentioned that an individual named Number 18 wants Shakenwhirls the steel speer returned. I asked him to join me but he would rather wait here until the gate opens.
I seem have to reached what looks like the mountain top, the sky is dark and my sight does not penetrate it.
Here I find a small hole that is leading to a flickering heat source, I climb down, avoiding the red glowing fluid and find an open door.
There are no traces of sunlight here, but the torches allow me to see. The first hall has two gold statues of pigs? And they are unnaturally contorted.. Why would the citizens of Friendlytreason worship such a low-life of an animal, moreover in a crippled state? Both statues also hold a rendition of 'Number 2', the statues had been placed here last year. What looks like the main staicase also has exceptionally well detailed floors of pigs.
I enter a very cozy housing with an artifcat figurine, how pleasant it is to look at.
Next is a room that has a whole in it.. but nothing more.
Before I decide to explore the stairways I went upstairs, this must have been the first mining operation conducted on this mountain according to the inscription (founding year). The next floor holds a column with a horrid engraving on it, from 194. What dreadful activities must have happened in this fortress is beyond my imagination.
I stroll to a leftern pathway that leads to complex, here I find a tree shield that shows some wear:
the display case here contains two mugs. Apparently the symbol of Friendlytreason is an old book about mating called The Tongs of Love... The complex also is a memorial hall dedicated to Bombyx Mori.
I leave the complex and pass by some smithy, there is another staircase that leads down. Upon further exploring I encounter an obese dwarf who calls himself 31. He wears an aluminium helmet with an image of 30 circles:
apparently the dwarfes here not only call themselfes by numbers but also are strangely attached to helmets that represent these numbers. The dwarf looks very injured and has sewn into his injuries a lot save spider silk threads. I follow the dwarf and enter into what looks like a very fancy throne room.
After some talking I figured to meet the locals in the tavern. However, the tavern was quite empty, and I only found strolling merchants and yaks. On my search for others I went into the caverns and saw strangely misshaped merchants hunting crundles. Following the carvings I managed to find the dormitories...

- When exploring the fortress I found a baby on the floor and tried to pick it up, searched through all the adventure hotkeys.. well I found x Perform action but decided not to use my natural ability to spit.
- In the dormitories I was handing over white stork bone rings for making myself popular, but of no avail did anyone join my adventures. I tried to joke "at least it doesn't rain down here" and again my charisma was not enough. After a while I performed a poem and this apparently convinced anyone to join me as entertainer
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 07:59:34 am by xkcd1963 »

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 08, 2024, 11:10:32 am »

File: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17118

The new DF version isn't quite there yet so I decided to continue the saga of Friendlydevils.
I also was able to get my hands on a Windows computer and the game runs way smoother.

Still in adventurer mode my current mission was to move as many dwarves as possible away from Friendlydevils, since it had become one single Matthew reference. Intolerable for honorary dwarves!

And then I had discovered this:
It is located here:

It is possible to settle here in Fortress Mode (images top to bottom):
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 07:14:34 pm by xkcd1963 »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2024, 06:52:08 am »

Oh hey, this thread experienced True Resurrection!

Do you intend to do another community fort, on top of the open pit? That should be... interesting. Time permitting, I'm in.

Apropos of nothing, ye olde FriendlyTreason has allowed me to learn several things that I didn't know before. This entire thing, by the way, has started because of the time when I killed one of the resident eerie mist zombies, Aban Oar-something-or-other, with the exterminate command; that always sat wrong with me. So I picked the fort at the end of my first turn, in the autumn of 211, & carried on through the horrid lag caused by the game writing all the combat interactions to disk. And boy howdy, do the two Eternal Dancers have a lot of combat interactions!

First thing I learned: having multiple trade depots is Very Not Good, and the real reason why wagons kept automatically deconstructing -- part of the caravan targeted the new & accessible depot, another part targeted the old one still existing in the blocked corridor with 3 eerie mist zombies. And the game 'resolved' the issue in the dumbest way possible: by forcibly scuttling one the wagons, thus getting caravan to leave.

The trade depot in the eerie mist corridor had to be deconstructed. The first thing I did was to get the third eerie mist zombie (think his name was Monom?) out of the corridor; simple enough, just open the outer bridge, let him target the still-living Iden the were-tortoise, and successfully cage him in one of the 3 cages outside the outer bridge. The Eternal Dancers, by the way, don't care about anyone and anything else besides one another. They're locked in endless combat, and no amount of external interference, even outright attacks, would perturb them. Hint.

With Monom locked out of the corridor, the outer bridge got closed back up, and a short wall was painstakingly built, one tile at a time, between the trade depot and Eternal Dancers. If you do this right, and get very lucky, the dwarves will build each wall section sitting on a diagonal, thus not catching sight of the Eternal Dancers and running off like the bloomin' little cowards that they are. Their tendency is to sit straight, though, so convincing them to build wall tiles diagonally required fiddling with the burrow: adding the future wall tile to it, then adding the position where I want the dwarf to sit.

Anyway, it worked, the old trade depot was isolated from the rest of the corridor and then deconstructed. Woo.

Secondly, that  XP gain in combat depends on the enemy's levels. The Eternal Dancers were used as training dummies. 30 otherwise-useless dwarves were enlisted in 6 squads, armed with silver hammers. This is a pretty good number; having too many dwarves attacking in the same time runs the risk of pushing the Dancers out of their current positions, thus breaking their Dance and causing them to target the attacking squad instead (at which point, dwarven deaths are inevitable; a single hit from one Dancer is enough to kill a normal dwarf regardless of armor). It's also important to keep the corridor outside the 'safe' burrow, and to control the squads only with stationing orders; especially, keep the squads Inactive in the {s} menu. This way, when you cancel the attack, they all revert to civilians and immediately leave the place, instead of ignoring burrow commands and continuing to attack the enemy.

Each squad, one at a a time, got sent to 'station' a few tile away from the Eternal Dancers; obviously, the dwarves saw an enemy and chose to attack instead. Each attack lasted 3-4 days, after which exhaustion sets in & dwarves risk falling down immobile. The first session got them from level 0 to level 5; the second, to 8-9; the third to 11-12. No incidents have occurred until now; but continuing the process starts to carry the risk that the Eternal Dancers will turn around and counter-attack. My suspicion is that this happens with dwarven troops that approach or exceed Legendary status, and I further theorize that the AI prioritizes adjacent enemies by their skills; this is why the n00bs were completely ignored, despite raining literal hundreds of blows upon the dancers (all of which missed). But the XP kept flowing, which is all that mattered.

Trying to push the training past level 12 resulted in 3 dwarven deaths; although I was watching the proceedings like the proverbial hawk and the Station command was canceled as soon as the Dancers retaliated, the targeted dwarves still died in one hit. This prompted the closing of the program, and the now 27 dwarves were re-enlisted in normal squads with armor, and left to spar in a barracks as the good Toady One intended.

Two more training squads of hammer-dwarves were made, both to fill the current spots and to serve as reserves for inevitable future deaths. Plus, crossbow dwarves were trained using the same exploit, but this time by locking the corridor back up and letting them fire bone bolts through fortifications. All in all, got a very good army in record time.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 04:28:07 pm by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2024, 09:16:47 am »

Double post, because I have some critical news.

After multiple attempts, I did get the Pit to Hell to manifest in Fortress Mode, but I don't think it's playable: this is what poor DF ends up having to devour, and I haven't even tried to play; this is right after the embark:

The embark itself takes an EXCESSIVE amount of time to complete; multiple minutes. Part of the reason seems to be the giant structure of rough-hewn solid slade that extends seemingly forever above the ground. I've gone as far up as 368 before realizing that, hey, maybe I should save. Saving, too, takes an excessive amount of time. Poor DFFD cooperated eventually, so here's the save; it's a 91+MB file, and the unzipped save file is ~164MB. This is the return of Armok's Whisker.

The embark spot is right here:

If you embark on your own, it's absolutely critical to get the 2 rows above/north of the cave; I've tried getting only the first one, and 'only' caused a bit of bizarre terrain generation and some magma flooding; but all of this will be underground, and the surface will look normal:

(Reminder that you can use Shift+Scroll to scroll a page horizontally, and view all of an extra-wide image)

The problems all seem connected to this poor forest biome:

The weirdness isn't limited to this embark chunk (as opposed to terrain chunk); in the chunk to the North-West, with the same biome, there are similar oddities happening around the river -- aboveground terrain generated as part of Cave 2/3 or magma sea, and all kinds of floods happen (magma into water, water into magma, lakes generated in mid-air and flowing all over the place, one lake that's draining over the edge of the map. The bit marked with red, in particular, is completely unplayable: an underground lake is draining over a magma pipe, and it produces infinite "A section of the cavern has collapsed!" messages.

For the record, only the terrain, plants, and grasses are of the aboveground varieties; all tiles marked Inside/Dark/Subterranean, and only underground trees grow (specifically, fungiwood and tower cap, the Cave 1 trees).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 10:54:13 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2024, 10:10:39 am »

Woow I'm so happy someone still is interested in Friendlytreason I truly thought I'm only removing cogwebs by posting here. Sorry for the late reply though, already more than two weeks have passed.

Regarding the Eternal Dancers. Very cool research. It would be interesting to know how to reproduce a pair of everfighting undead. The tradeoff between lag and a good training opportunity for dwarves seems meager though.

(Reminder that you can use Shift+Scroll to scroll a page horizontally, and view all of an extra-wide image)
thanks!

Do you intend to do another community fort, on top of the open pit? That should be... interesting. Time permitting, I'm in.

Yes! I also had my share of embarks and I figured:
- 1:1 doesn't work, the open pit won't be generated (thanks for the tree indicators)
- 1:2 works, with the pit being on the lower half on the embark menu
- 2:1 doesn't work
- 3:1 works, with the pit in the middle

Though because of the immediate liquid flows and collapsing ice the lag is considerate. I was thinking of using dfhack to petrify all sources of vertical flows. Provided this isn't considered too hacky for an embark.

As I see it in order to have a playable community fort we should go with 1:2. I know this is quite similar to Smallhands, but the other embark-formats don't seem to work, and a larger biome is not feasible for most computers, also considering how special the map generation is.

Any further ideas as to what the new fort should be called, goals, restrictions, playstyles, ..?

:::EDIT:::

Indeed it seems to go infinitely above ground. Interestingly my machine would lag excessively if I would go up that high in z levels even if the game is paused. If I moved to the dwarves while the game is paused the lag would decrease to *normal*.
The red marker indicates the 1:2 which I suggest to embark on.
I also wanted to mention that if you embark on 3:3 but where the supposed pit is in the middle, you'll find a hole dug into the circus through an adamantine vein, and consequently will have to deal with clowns on embark.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 08:44:24 am by xkcd1963 »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]