Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Requesting Advice: Editing a Mod to Work with Another Mod  (Read 150 times)

Haiphong

• Bay Watcher
  • I... Wot?
    • View Profile
Requesting Advice: Editing a Mod to Work with Another Mod
« on: June 17, 2024, 02:23:50 pm »

[Note: playing on Steam I spent a few hours reading the wiki on how to Mod things so I understand some of the basics I think]

I've got a couple of mods I'd really like to put together, one that adds Plump Helmet Men as an Tame Animal type you can take from Embark and train called "Plump Helmet Man Revolution" by Indigofenix. 

The second adds another playable race to Fortress Mode, called Stella Elves by SEEU (please bear with me for playing Elf things. They hate nature now!).

It seems that the PHM mod only works with the default dwarfs (which makes sense), so I browed around the files and from what I can figure out, the key is in an Entity File with Select_Entity: Mountain.

So I copied the files into my own folder and edited the File to say Select_Entity: SM_CV_STELLA.
Because that is in the same place as "Mountain" is when I compare the mod race to the Vanilla Entities file containing Dwarves.

As I understand, the original Entity File was modifying Dwarves (AKA "Mountain", not Plump Helmet Men, actually) to contain these modded "animals."

In testing though, I can't get them to work. In fact the edited file (in a seperate folder and read as a seperate "mod" in the game's UI) still works as original, only effecting Dwarf civs.

Is my thinking on the right track?
Is it perhaps because this separate playable civ is not in the game by default and thus I can't "append" to it using Select_Entity? I tried switching the load order between the two and still no success.

Any guidance would be appreciated. It's not really vital to my enjoyment of either of the two mods, but now that I've gotten started I'm really curious to learn the secret.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 05:46:04 pm by Haiphong »

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting Advice: Editing a Mod to Work with Another Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2024, 12:42:58 pm »

I don't know what your files look like, but are your filenames and file headers set up correctly?

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modding#Basics_of_DF_modding

If it is, then make sure you are loading a mod that SELECTs a previous entity after (below) the mod that adds the entity, otherwise the select command will not target an undefined entity.

If you know the mod IDs of the mods you want to make compatible, you can add these tokens to your info.txt to enforce the proper behavior.
[REQUIRES_ID:<PHM revolution ID>]
[REQUIRES_ID_BEFORE_ME:<Stella elves ID>]
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
Mod releases

Haiphong

• Bay Watcher
  • I... Wot?
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting Advice: Editing a Mod to Work with Another Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2024, 05:48:48 pm »

Hey, thank you for the reply! :)

I've actually been reading and dissecting mods over the last couple days, and I think I learned what the actual problem is. It seems to be with the [Use_Pet_Race] line of tags. I noticed another race mod works with the PHMs because of that.

However I still can't get it to work with this first Civ. I think it may be because they don't settle in mountains. So now I'm tweaking their [Start_Biome] tags.