Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Defining spatter color (for modded weather)  (Read 308 times)

Relicspread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Defining spatter color (for modded weather)
« on: June 04, 2024, 03:05:08 pm »

I have been playing around with adding in new weird weathers. Mechanically it is working fine but less so when it comes to the graphics. I get that flowing materials aren't palettised the same way other graphics are but I would like to know if there is a was to define which tile set to use for a specific liquid/gas etc. As of now it is fine for vapors and gasses (they are white), i guess miasma purple could be an alternative but this is fine. solids such as creeping dust and "snow" defaults to gray, also fine but not ideal,  the ability to make it look like snow would at least be nice. Then come the liquids, for some reason the game defaults to magma bright orange for custom freakish rains (and the other weather effects to if they get washed off as liquids). Here is also where the game has the most options, the various bloods, goo, mud, magma, ichor and so on. Magma is probably the worst one, bright and annoying to look at if nothing else. Is there a way to instead define, for example ichor spatter, as the graphic to use for my weather? Ideally on a per material basis.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Re: Defining spatter color (for modded weather)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2024, 02:22:35 pm »

Organic materials with [BLOOD_MAP_DESCRIPTOR] will use the closest coloration based on their state color.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
Mod releases

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2024, 03:18:58 pm »

The vanilla evil rain materials have SLIME_MAP_DESCRIPTOR so I think that makes them use the evil rain spatter graphics.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2024, 10:48:12 am »

I have been playing around with adding in new weird weathers. Mechanically it is working fine but less so when it comes to the graphics. I get that flowing materials aren't palettised the same way other graphics are but I would like to know if there is a was to define which tile set to use for a specific liquid/gas etc. As of now it is fine for vapors and gasses (they are white), i guess miasma purple could be an alternative but this is fine. solids such as creeping dust and "snow" defaults to gray, also fine but not ideal,  the ability to make it look like snow would at least be nice. Then come the liquids, for some reason the game defaults to magma bright orange for custom freakish rains (and the other weather effects to if they get washed off as liquids). Here is also where the game has the most options, the various bloods, goo, mud, magma, ichor and so on. Magma is probably the worst one, bright and annoying to look at if nothing else. Is there a way to instead define, for example ichor spatter, as the graphic to use for my weather? Ideally on a per material basis.

If anyone finds a feasibly easy way to implement what is being talked about here I'd love to know cuz I have a mod that has a custom freakish weather in the orange spatter also annoys me greatly.

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2024, 11:35:21 am »

I think the game defaults to magma graphics for inorganic materials unless SLIME_MAP_DESCRIPTOR is used.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2024, 08:09:05 pm »

You should just be able to use CREATURE_MAT:creatureID:materialID. Or PLANT_MAT if its a plant material you want to rain.

I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.