Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better foliage graphics  (Read 314 times)

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Better foliage graphics
« on: August 16, 2024, 08:55:53 am »

Most grasses as well a cave mosses currently look straight out of a golf course in the premium tileset, as well as sparser grass tiles looking identical to dense ones. They all really should be given better sprites. You could even add things such as ferns, shrubs and flowers to make it look even more lush, kinda like what the "visible grass types" mod does. Also, evil plant tiles should also be animated like they are in ASCII.
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Re: Better foliage graphics
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2024, 10:39:31 pm »

The transition to Premium was pretty rough for floor-covering grass. I'd appreciate some variation in length being shown, but I think there's too much noise, not too little. This includes the leaves and nuts falling out of all the trees and lingering forever.
Special grass types used to take advantage of all the negative space, but now them being randomly sprinkled in means that they usually look out-of-place. Most of the popular grass mods exacerbate this effect by turning all grass into special grass and highlighting the blockiness of it all. Before the grass can become more detailed, I believe there must be ways to make it look smoother and blended together.

Do note - cave grass has unused sprites for levels of growth. I imagine that it'll essentially be implemented in the way you'd expect.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2024, 10:55:30 pm by DPh Kraken »
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII