Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancers and the Justice System  (Read 968 times)

FlatBoulders

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Necromancers and the Justice System
« on: March 28, 2024, 07:45:25 pm »

I think having a necromancer as the Captain of the Guard or Sheriff could have more features. Namely, in events of murder, they could resurrect corpses to figure out who murdered them.
FlatBoulders

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers and the Justice System
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 04:18:26 am »

Currently necromancers can make zombies, who don't have any memories, or the procedurally generated types of intelligent undead, which are basically just the person brought back to life. And bringing one of your dwarves back from the dead with bonus immortality and magic powers has a little broader utility than just asking them how they died.

But all of that is likely to be changed for myth and magic anyways, in which case we might indeed get something like DnD's speak with dead spell. Or possibly zombies who can remember just enough of their life to make it a cool mystery?

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 07:50:11 pm »

Talking to dead people does sound like an interesting feature.

It remind me of how people talk to the dead in baldur's gate 3.
BG3 - Speak With Dead on Romanced Gale
Max avatar size is 80x80

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 07:59:30 am »

I'm fairly sure intelligent undead can't actually speak, although they are treated as if they could in a lot of situations. You can experience this by going up to one in adventure mode and greeting them, you will get no response.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 10:59:53 pm »

Im pretty sure thats a bug, though. Necromancers are supposed to use them as spies for one thing, and a spy that cant communicate at all is a problem. The game doesn't simulate sign language or written note communications right now so that's not a possibility.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.