Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Touchpad scrolling improvement  (Read 454 times)

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Touchpad scrolling improvement
« on: March 23, 2024, 01:28:14 pm »

I would love to see the touchpad supported better by making use of multi-finger (really, in my case, only two-finger) gestures, which I use as much as I use the mouse wheel while mousing. Two-finger gestures should scroll lists like the mouse wheel, and there should be such a gesture for panning the various maps as well, probably the same two-finger gesture except in two dimensions.

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Touchpad scrolling improvement
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 02:53:45 pm »

Currently, any two-fingered gesture causes the camera to zoom into the sky like a rocket. At least on my system.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 05:43:22 pm »

For starters, see Toady One's reply to my and Mr. Crabman's questions near the end of this FoTF.

That being said, I agree that the ability to use gestures involving two or more fingers on trackpads that support it would be very useful.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 09:53:57 pm »

Hmm. Thanks for digging this up. Looks like SDL doesn't have a category for touchpad support at https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL2/APIByCategory. Darn.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 08:34:48 am »

I'd settle for just fixing two-finger scrolling with touchpads.  Something definitely broke with the SDL2 update regarding that, since before then it worked fine.  Still works fine with a mouse wheel, but no matter how I bind the controls two-finger scrolling causes lists to scroll haphazardly or jump to the top regardless of which way I scroll.

Not sure I'd use any other gestures.  I never learned to use touchpad gestures at all past scrolling or pinch zooming.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 12:45:20 pm »

Oh yeah, I forgot about zooming. That would be useful too, in theory. I think I turned that off because I kept zooming by accident, and I guess I couldn't change the zoom sensitivity.