Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire societies  (Read 450 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire societies
« on: January 26, 2024, 10:37:40 pm »

Vampires should seek each other out in their travels and form some type of society, defined as other entity types are, with the various traits like ethics, laws and nobility which apply to their behavior. Including outcasts who don’t play by the rules, rival societies, etc.

It could be a loose society that simply meet up for covens on some schedule. Or a population of vampires all living together could dominate parts of the world spreading evil from their castles like a necro tower. I don’t want them to act just like necros but I’d gladly trade some towers for lands where vampires are openly ruling with minions and familiars doing their bidding.

Other benefits: a siege of vampiric trolls, infiltration from seemingly normal familiars…

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire societies
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 03:21:03 am »

Even if vampires make great foes, I think that most of the social mechanics (besides the obscure blood-giving ritual) for this don't need to be exclusive to civilized night creatures.
I think that vampires should be predisposed to start villainous secret societies - bloodsucking to make them outcasts, already gravitating to positions of power, personality changes (though not given to default vampires), and an eternity to scheme - but I could see any bunch of creatures with a common background starting their own society if there's going to be a lot of depth to it.
In fort mode their infiltration would be much more subtle, but I imagine there would be a lot of ways to play with a clandestine faction (a formalized villain network with various positions?) in adventure mode - finding hideouts, being able to join them and attempt their rites of initiation, noticing their symbols and signatures in places they rule over...
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII