Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Question about Penetration and Momentum  (Read 460 times)

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Question about Penetration and Momentum
« on: December 08, 2023, 12:23:41 am »

I seem to have either run into an issue either with my own calculation of momentum and penetration using the formulas provided on the following page:

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Material_science#Attack_Momentum

Or otherwise, the formulas provided are obsolete, or simply wrong.

I calculated the momentum of a steel spear's stab like so, with an average human being the wielder: 1000/(1000000/70000 + 10*(1/3.14)) = 57.2395833333

Then I calculated the momentum required to penetrate an iron mail shirt, like so: ((155/430) + 21*(310/720))*12 = 112.825581395

There are bits left out of these formulas because they are irrelevant, particularly armor and weapon quality, which are 1, as well as the velocity multiplier of a stab, which is also 1, and so do not impact the formula whatsoever.

Now, as the momentum of a steel spear thrust is lower than the momentum required to penetrate an iron mail shirt, it shouldn't be able to pierce with a normal attack, right? Obviously not, a steel spear easily pierces, as I'm sure most of you would know, and testing easily proves that.

An additional observation is that if you calculate a battle axe's momentum using the same formula, you get a different result than is indicated in the table of momentums you would get with an average dwarf, that is: 85.574127907

This would indicate perhaps some inconsistency between the formulas, or some error on my part, but I am at a loss as to what may be the case. Can anyone see or tell me what the issue is here? Because obviously there's some error somewhere, and having reliable formulas for the use in modding custom materials and modifying existing ones is absolutely necessary, so if this is an issue with the formulas themselves then this is a major issue. I hope I'm the one who's made the error, and that I can simply be corrected.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Question about Penetration and Momentum
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 01:12:47 pm »

nevermind
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 01:32:42 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.