Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What makes a monarch the monarch?  (Read 810 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What makes a monarch the monarch?
« on: September 27, 2023, 03:12:51 pm »

If a site reaches the metropolis status and has a land_holder of 1,2 or 3, the monarch may arrive. the monarch is the leader of a civ.
but which tokens make him/her the leader of the civ?

Is it the highest PRECEDENCE? I think not, becouse the elven druid has 1 but the queen has 2, and the queen is leader.
Is it LAW_MAKING responsibility and the missing SITE-token? (and also precedence, becouse what if your have more?)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a monarch the monarch?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 07:29:22 pm »

Im willing to bet it is the responsibility plus lacking SITE (so being the civ-level law maker), possibly also requiring RULES_FROM_LOCATION, which maybe makes whatever location theyre at the mountainhome?. Would take making a few forts reaching the point where they can arrive with combinations of those to pin it down.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 08:07:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's just highest precedence civ-wide position, druid is technically the leader of the elves. At least the leader when listed in the civilization selection interface is just highest precedence civ-wide position.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 05:52:39 pm »

The game just assumes that anything with [PRECEDENCE:1] is the ruler, for both embark screen and mountainhome purposes

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 06:43:28 pm »

The game just assumes that anything with [PRECEDENCE:1] is the ruler, for both embark screen and mountainhome purposes

That's good to know!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 12:00:31 am »

Thank you!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 03:07:05 am »

The one exception to this rule is that [POSITION:WORSHIP_HF] (dark tower master, inherited or created by clowns at w.g/rising from the deep) and [POSITION:MONARCH] can exist both at the same time, where the monarch is precedence 1, but still subservient to the master.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 05:02:33 am »

I guess precedence means much more than just the order in which they are displayed in the nobles screen.

For example, what would happen if i have multiples of several roles like broker, bookkeeper, manager, meet_workers and such? Is precedence also the decising factor? I guess so.

but what if you have multiple positions with the same precedence?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 08:44:26 pm »

The one exception to this rule is that [POSITION:WORSHIP_HF] (dark tower master, inherited or created by clowns at w.g/rising from the deep) and [POSITION:MONARCH] can exist both at the same time, where the monarch is precedence 1, but still subservient to the master.

The argument to POSITION is completely and totally arbitrary and has no effect on the game whatsoever. WORSHIP_HF is only used in parsing text. If multiple positions have precedence 1, it'll just use the first one, generally. There are no exceptions to what I said, which is taken directly from the game's code.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2023, 04:33:35 am »

I only found out about Worship_HF by stringdump combing pre ver40 gameversions which used to feature the old behaviour of demons manifesting themselves as false gods, and in execution in at least ver.47 (and not ver.40 per seperation from [MONARCH] which was mean to be the fix for it being initially unplayable when attached with [SITE_CONTROLLABLE] token on 47.01), it applies its intended effect because it is a entirely procedurally manifested through the events of rising the spire at the beginning of worldgen and the later-added deep risen events, then executed to the RAW parameters add detail ontop of passing the title to the inheritors.

Its a strange system, no doubt exploiting some ancient, unknowable and redundant code, but its usable modding material. The generated ruler, i guess to better fit your context is always going to be faster than a year 1 appointment of a monarch, and the roles don't seem to be reversed when a suitable inheritor is presented to take over, unless as you've clarified, the second master has a lower precedence than the monarch defined on the same entity file.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2023, 03:59:35 am »

And I'm telling you that the WORSHIP_HF string is used only in parsing certain conversation texts, not anywhere in position systems. You can't do anything with it in raws besides use it in TEXT_SET objects.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 04:43:40 am »

So goblins (evil-civ) have a demon as 'monarch'. How is does the game know to give this civ a demon? Is it by
* [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:DARK_FORTRESS]  ?
* [CREATURE:GOBLIN] (=[ EVIL])  ?
* [VALUE:POWER:50]  ?

And If you somehow manage to elevate a goblin-fortress to Mountainhome, does the demon arive as 'monarch'?

Lets say I want to have some sort of Dark theocracy, what do i need to do to have a Demon as leader?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2023, 09:23:21 pm »

It's DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:DARK_FORTRESS, any other civ that has that will do the same

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2023, 08:25:15 am »

Thanks!