Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Xvareon plays C:DDA - Survival horror zombie apocalypse roguelike RPG (Take two)  (Read 1521 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would have mentioned that animal fat could also be used for making tallow but I just realized it's probably better to use that for food and use tainted fat for tallow. Typically when I make tallow it is immediately turned into ether candles or lamp oil.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile

Things are going to settle down for a bit, while I do some more exploration and get ready for a long-distance journey. See, I found a FEMA evacuation shelter, the kind you start in intact if you play as a standard "Survivor" at game start, and it had a computer that marked on my map the location of the primary FEMA refugee center. Evac shelters are meant to be temporary, while this would be the full-on processing facility, complete with truck loading docks and space for dozens if not hundreds of people. This serves as generally the first of two starter quests you're likely to get, the second being a random one from the other evacuee you share said shelter with.

This temporary shelter, though, was crawling with zombies and otherwise wrecked and looted. So I booked it out of there after getting what I needed off the computer. Now, I'm taking care of some quality of life improvements such as smoked meat, a bit of metalworking, inventory management, and weapon care.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Among all this, though, I realized something:  I can snap pictures of creatures with my smartphone or another camera, and by doing so, fill what amounts to this game's Bestiary! This gives me a list of creatures that I can look through, along with their relative difficulty, size, species, senses, and a general description. Picture quality's important, though, so you're more likely to get a good shot with a professional camera, especially at any significant distance. This isn't strictly necessary, but it's a good way to roleplay, if you're the Metroid Prime type who Scan Visors everything that moves.
In addition to FEMA refugee centers, you can find FEMA camps. These... tend to be absolutely crawling with zeds, though. The only things really worth looting are the field cooking equipment, and the crates that can hold food and medical supplies. If you're so in need of that that you'd chance a place like this, though, you're in real trouble, IMO.
Another consideration is fuel, both gasoline and diesel. I have an electric vehicle, sure, but it's only really good for short hops. The refugee center is gonna be quite far away, and I don't actually know a reasonable short path to get there at this stage. Gas-powered vehicles tend to be more reliable, and I've seen quite a few that were in otherwise good shape apart from the fact they were missing a battery and a fuel tank—both of which I have, as well as fuel, now, thanks to this Mine. Mine entrances are set pieces that tend to have a gas and diesel pump you can get fuel out of, even on No Hope games. They're also surrounded by chain link fences that make spear-wielders like me lick their lips. The miners are a good source of canvas clothes, flashlights and tool belts, and the mine itself tends to have heavy power tools, pickaxes and other nice gear. You can even find a heavy-duty cargo truck there, but the kind of job you would need that for is WELL outside my needs, not to mention the one I found was wrecked.

I could go down into the mines, as well, if I felt really brave... it's a hell of a dangerous trip, though, as the place is crawling with more zombie miners, sinkholes you have to roll Perception to spot or fall in 5-foot pits and hurt yourself, not to mention toxic gas at points. And...... worse.

Much, much worse.

As worth it as it can be to get things out of mines, you shouldn't come unless you're ready for what they probably found down there.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At least the sink holes of the modern game are nothing like the ones of old, where you'd fall into a room underground and die unless you carried a long rope on your person. Glad they changed that to just falling into a deep pit that you can escape from.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's time to get out of here. I've stocked a couple days worth of food and a bunch of clean water in the car, plus my shotgun and several dozen 00 shot shells just in case. I'm not taking chances. It's gonna be a while to get to the refugee center, where I hope to find friendly NPCs I can convince to come back with me, because, hey, who wouldn't leave the relative safety of FEMA camp to follow a shotgun-toting, dirt-covered, riot armor-wearing dude out into the Wasteland? I mean, I've got my own Tesla I recovered!... Though it only gets like three hours of driving time at max. We've got horses! Horses, anyone? Ah... if they weren't all murdered by giant wasps by now.
The drive goes pretty smooth for the most part. There's no contiguous road—at least, not one that isn't blocked by military-grade turrets or eldritch horrors. So I go offroad at some points, and zoom past that evac shelter where I first found out about the refugee center, before crossing the river over a bridge into the town of Swampscott... only to immediately bank right and forget that noise, because it's crawling with zombies.
Eugh. And here's a glimpse of the dangers you can find even in the wild. Giant spiders can be nasty, but web-spinning ones usually only attack if you get caught by their webs or provoke them. The really dangerous ones tend to be those you find in caves, certain basements, subways, and the like.
I head south towards the town of Barre, aiming to skirt it and head east to the refugee center... only to find... Wait. What's this ventilation shaft doing all the way out here?
It's... oh. Oooooooh.

I've just broken into a Science Lab. This... this is top-of-the-line, X-Files level stuff. Labs hold the pinnacle of technology, up to and including mutagenic substances, bionic CBM modules, and every form of chemical compound imaginable! They're the go-to place for pretty much any project you may need, and are a vital resource for items to improve your character past the confines of their weak, pithy humanity.

But for this, we need a proper theme.
The first few enemies I find, mostly zombie scientists, fall easily to my spear. However, I cannot get complacent. There is MUCH worse than that down here. Labs are deathtraps filled with automatic gun turrets, giant insects, extradimensional terrors, plasma spills, and worse. A secret lab, the kind I just found, accessible primarily by hidden ventilation shafts or manholes that can even be hidden in wooded environments, is one of the best.
This... this level of slaughter, though, is something I haven't seen yet. Something killed all these zombies. Something exceedingly strong. And I may have found some clues, because among the zombie bodies is the ~442 lb corpse of a giant naked mole rat... and a very much alive Giant Mole Cricket. Oooh, boy. Yeah, you wouldn't think it, but those things are actually horrific to face in combat. It seems the zombies ran into some extremely powerful giant burrowing creatures, because I'm seeing points where the walls have just been completely obliterated, and holes even dug into solid rock.

Not all of them are dead, though. There's something else coming. More new enemies—a Mad Scientist, basically a feral with a scalpel; and a Phase Skulker, which is apparently a zombie that died wearing a five-point anchor, essentially a device that seatbelts you to reality. Thanks to my USP .45, though, even tougher enemies like that fall fairly easily.
Spoiler: AR-15 (click to show/hide)
I even manage to snatch an assault rifle off the corpse of a dead zombie security guard! That's a boon, even though it only has 19 rounds out of 30 left. I managed to find more 5.56 from the dead zombie cops & SWAT back at the private resort, after all! The only problem is that the gun is damaged, so it'll suffer penalties until I can fix it up with a Firearm Repair Kit. This is an important reason why I do not advocate for bayonets on guns, because firearms are MUCH harder to fix than dedicated melee weapons. A bayonet is useful, but only if you truly get ambushed with no good way out. You're often better off just equipping the bayonet as a knife and fighting with that alone.
I also found some useful—or just interesting—drugs and chemicals in the lab. I wasn't kidding when I said they have everything, here. With a high enough chemistry skill, you can make ANFO explosives, concentrated hydrogen peroxide bombs, sulfuric acid grenades, and more! I dunno if I can use aluminum sulfate to make molluscide for killing giant slugs or not, but I do know a similar acid exists for giant ants I can load into a chemical sprayer. I also found some mutagenic substances like I mentioned before, but... I'm gonna wait a bit before getting into those. I've never actually mutated myself, for one, and I doubt I could do it properly here in the field, let alone cover it in this episode. So, until next time!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 07:17:00 pm by Xvareon »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What mutation path are you planing on trying?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What mutation path are you planing on trying?
You must have me confused with someone who knows what they're doing!  8)  I'm just grabbing every sample I can off the shelves. Mouse, cow, snail, cuttlefish and more. Given the kind of aggressive lifestyle I lead, something that gives me more strength or agility would be ideal, so maybe wolf, bear or the like.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heck I don't know how the mutations work ether and just picked the lines that sounded the most interesting and messed with it until I got the mutations I wanted*, but that was ages ago and now days I have no idea how it works especially sense they changed how the mutation system works.

*Totally didn't savescum the hell out of it to get what I wanted and avoid most of the bad ones, no idea if that works in the new system though.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've never use cow how is it, I mainly avoided it because it had that mutation that made you unable to wear regular sized clothing.
Pages: 1 2 [3]