Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kraken's Languages: The Way the Words Work & Cooler World Names  (Read 1084 times)

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile

The Way the Words Work

A total language overhaul that adds structure to the default language rules to create more logically-assembled names. Words now obey stricter rules on positioning, in both compound and "X of Y" form. All of the linguistic symbols have been expanded and/or redefined. For example, double-verbs often look silly, so I've taken care to generally limit them in civ names.

Maintains compatibility by using the same dictionary/set of word tokens as vanilla. I've repurposed a couple of the less resonant words by changing their English translation, but they still use the same internal IDs. Custom civs, etc, that are compatible with the vanilla language should work with this mod.

Adds more book titles and dialogue text sets.

Cuts and replaces the default entities to update their naming conventions.
  • Dwarves have a stereotypical naming scheme in fantasy fiction: "Thorin Oakenshield" from "Dwarrowdelf" (LotR) and "Bruenor Battlehammer" (D&D) being notables among them. There's also plenty of named dwarves in Norse folklore, with the Poetic Edda citing many. Since these symbols are also inextricably used for site compound names, geonyms also feature prominently among names.
  • The vanilla symbols used by elves cast a pretty broad net - NATURE is basically everything that isn't abstract or artificial and FLOWERY was "pretty elf stuff". Elves are the most mystical with their hidden forests, so I've added some spiritualistic vocabulary to their names. From elven beauty comes the idea that they'd value youth (eternal if need be), and from their defense of the savage lands comes the idea that they'd have a disciplined ideal of chaos. They're surprisingly neutral on a lot of civ values.
  • The goblin name list is pretty straightforward - add some places, professions, and nasty stuff, plus filtering the verbs to stay in one symbol. There's a lot more "ugly" words than normal, but it's pretty safe to go over the top with these enthusiastically horrid names.
  • Humans specify no name symbol in vanilla, leading to the theoretically most varied names. I've tried to add a more focused "medieval" feel to human names instead, with plenty of geonymic and professional names. I've also played up the few defined attributes of the plains civilization - their fixation on fanciful beasts, their affinity for war, and their comfort with "domestic" goods in their name.
  • All default civs additionally use a symbol full of words that appear only as proper nouns, never translated in a compound word. By adding them to OTHER, there's effectively more "meaningless" first names available. This is the most extensible part of the custom civ symbols, which can easily be supported for new civs if TWTWW is loaded after them.
Download on DFFD
Download on Steam

Credits
This mod is public domain, feel free to publish edits or incorporate this into your total conversion. I've invested a huge amount of work into this, so please do credit me.
I was inspired by Emilovich's Language Overhaul, which uses a custom dictionary instead of the vanilla one.
Shout out to dikbutdagrate for helping me test this mod through its early stages.
Text sets have additional credit to Aquos; SethCreiyd (Speech Expansion); Tarran, Igfig & Cruxador (FlavorText); Nethack & addmsgs; and other contributors to community Speech mods

Alternate Versions
These versions of the mod are here to provide some of the features at a higher degree of compatibility.

Lite version
Doesn't cut-and-replace the default entities, this is just the grammar, symbols, and books.
Download on Steam

Cooler World Names
Previously an independent mod. Expands language symbols for more diversity in naming worlds and regions. Uses SELECT instead of replacing everything.
Download on DFFD
Download on Steam
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 06:37:29 pm by DPh Kraken »
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII