Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating a 1 level deep clean water well  (Read 852 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating a 1 level deep clean water well
« on: September 04, 2023, 05:58:45 pm »

You know how we need to have water wells that are two levels deep, to avoid buckets laced with mud? Because there is usually mud on the bottom level?

Turns out you can have a clean 1-level water cistern. If a tile has a ramp, and gets flooded with water, it becomes muddy. If you deconstruct the ramp, the mud is removed. If you deconstruct the ramp while there is 1-2 water on it (you can't deconstruct with 3+ water), the water remains with no mud, and will remain clean when you fill it up.

So you can have a muddy water cistern, with clean spots for your wells.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a 1 level deep clean water well
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 07:28:21 pm »

Genius.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 07:30:23 pm »

That's cool, though I suspect the use cases are fairly limited.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 05:43:05 am »

Sterling !!SCIENCE!! I can think of a few applications with hypercompact fortress designs.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 06:39:25 am »

Doesn't it revert to mud if the well runs dry by over-use though?

It'd be faster I suppose to use a screw pump, but it shows how impactful constructed ramps are. I wonder if constructed stairs can do the same kind of thing?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 11:16:39 am »

It does revert to mud if dried and flooded again.

Originally I did this with dug ramps, but constructed ramps and stairs also work. Furniture placement doesn't work.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.