Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bunch more newbie questions  (Read 659 times)

Night Stalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bunch more newbie questions
« on: December 11, 2007, 11:58:00 pm »

What does it mean when you suddenly go into a "fighting trance"?

Sometimes when you enter an area you get messages about various monsters running into trees or fighting each other.   How do you find them?   Or do you just have to wander around the entire area looking for them?

Why does the landscape sometimes show up in black and white and sometimes color?  It usually seems to switch when I go up or down hills.

What is so great about discovering a river that the game has to have a pop up to inform you?

How do you move faster on the overland map?  Is there a way to move from one known area to another without having to laborously move there square by square, each movement taking a dozen seconds or more?

Thanks for your help...

nicro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bunch more newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 01:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Night Stalker:
<STRONG>What does it mean when you suddenly go into a "fighting trance"?

Sometimes when you enter an area you get messages about various monsters running into trees or fighting each other.   How do you find them?   Or do you just have to wander around the entire area looking for them?

Why does the landscape sometimes show up in black and white and sometimes color?  It usually seems to switch when I go up or down hills.

What is so great about discovering a river that the game has to have a pop up to inform you?

How do you move faster on the overland map?  Is there a way to move from one known area to another without having to laborously move there square by square, each movement taking a dozen seconds or more?

Thanks for your help...</STRONG>

A fighting trance is when a dwarf is outnumbered, he goes into a trance and fights better.
When the scenery is black and white, it means there's snow on top of it.

By overland do you mean the [T]ravel screen? If so then yes, I think you have to move square by square. If not, then press Shift + T

I don't know about the river thing though.

[ December 12, 2007: Message edited by: nicro ]

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 03:04:00 am »

You pretty much have to wander around looking for monsters, which can be laborious in certain instances where every step you take generates two pages of combat spam with kobolds punching mountain goats.  Sometimes you can go to the travel map, not move, and re-enter your current area and get an option to move to a "Civilization Creature/Civilization Group/Creature," which will generally put you down fairly close to something to kill.  This doesn't happen everywhere; I found it happening most reliably when I was wandering around a Dark Fortress killing off goblins.
Rivers are a handy source of non-stagnant water, which is good to have on hand if you're spending a lot of time in an area but less important if you use the travel map often.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

nicro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 03:09:00 am »

Alright I myself have a question too: I have an arrow stuck in my leg. I assume this is not good. How do I remove it?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 03:49:00 am »

nteract I think.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »

If you go on data and then init, scroll down and you'll find something like this

Artifacts:YES
Weather:YES
Temperature:YES
etc. Change weather to NO and it will usually triple the overland map speed, Especially in winter.

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »

Rivers are part of a map feature, which why it is normal to have a pause screen informing you of the discovery.

Also, cave rivers can also be a great source of silk and tower caps (wood), which can be a blessing on some maps.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 08:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>Rivers are part of a map feature, which why it is normal to have a pause screen informing you of the discovery.

Also, cave rivers can also be a great source of silk and tower caps (wood), which can be a blessing on some maps.</STRONG>

Yeah, but that's meaningless to an adventurer.