Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alternative Power Sources?  (Read 1206 times)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alternative Power Sources?
« on: August 07, 2023, 10:20:58 pm »

Hey all,

Outside of windmills and water wheels, as well as all the fancy things you can do with them..Are there any fancy power generation methods beyond those two?

Thanks  :)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Power Sources?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 11:38:49 pm »

No, not really.  Windmills, water wheels, and hand power for pumps.

DFHack used to have a steam engine mod.  It's not part of current DFHack, so I assume it's broken.  You could ask in the DFHack thread.

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 09:36:14 pm »

Nuclear fusion

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 07:45:07 pm »

The sad thing is as far as I know there's only two things that even need "power"  a screw pump or a quern, more power options kinda seem silly at that point.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 01:59:56 am »

Tiny nit pick: Querns are always hand powered.  The machine powered ones are millstones.  DF, always being pedantic :P

There is also quite an important powered item you missed: mine cart tracks.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 05:37:29 am »

Huh?  I thought it was rollers that needed power! I didn’t know the tracks themselves did too!  You learn a new thing every day!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 07:34:52 am »

Tiny nit pick: Querns are always hand powered.  The machine powered ones are millstones.  DF, always being pedantic :P

Ok so 3 things lmao
Oh yeah!! I never use mine carts for anything my forts usually never last long enough to use them

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:incessant muttering]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 08:25:04 am »

I never find myself in a good position to use them. The micromanagement required for efficient, automatic use of minecarts just doesn't appeal to me, because it removes a lot of the possibilities for dwarves to be dwarves (read: stupid).
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Richard Stallman's Kind Communication Guidelines

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2023, 06:50:35 pm »

I admit that I don't either, but given that my playstyle includes a lot of micromanagement anyway, maybe I should :-)  To be fair, I think the biggest issue is just setting up pathing costs so that they don't step in front of a mine cart.  My main issue is actually that setting up the power is a PITA :-)  So, I guess it goes back to the original question :-)

I've never looked at it, but can you mod in power sources?  Or are they hard coded?  I imagine the latter, but you never know...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 07:53:12 pm »

I've never looked at it, but can you mod in power sources?  Or are they hard coded?  I imagine the latter, but you never know...

IIRC, there's a steam power mod that uses a custom workshop. It relies on DFHack to work, though, so that's basically hard coded.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2023, 09:07:10 pm »

IIRC, there's a steam power mod that uses a custom workshop. It relies on DFHack to work, though, so that's basically hard coded.

I think this is what you are referring to.

You might also be interested in this
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.