Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siegers with less armor?  (Read 617 times)

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siegers with less armor?
« on: July 16, 2023, 11:56:30 pm »

Is there any way to make it less likely that siegers/visitors of any kind will not always have the armor available to their civ? Say so that it's somewhat rarer for any individual human to have a breastplate, but for breastplates to still often be available to human civs?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Siegers with less armor?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 04:23:12 pm »

Only by diluting the pool of options with less protective breastplate alternatives.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 12:16:28 am »

Only by diluting the pool of options with less protective breastplate alternatives.

The [ARMOR:X] token changes the likelihood of individuals within an entity wearing armor? Not the entity's ability to manifest the armor at all? Has there been any science on this?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 11:31:24 pm »

He's saying that you'd need to add other stuff to make the "good" armor much rarer, the rarity is at civ level rather (assuming that's what you're referring to) than individual level.

So for example

[ARMOR:ARMOR_ITEM] is the same as [ARMOR:ARMOR_ITEM:COMMON], which means civs of this race will usually have access to that specific armor item, but it's not 100% world to world or civ to civ of the same race.

[ARMOR:ARMOR_ITEM:UNCOMMON] means just that, it's more of a coin flip if it'll be present in a given civ of that type.
[ARMOR:ARMOR_ITEM:RARE] means that the item isn't typically found among this civ type, but might turn up once in a while for some lucky civ out of the bunch that might have genned.
[ARMOR:ARMOR_ITEM:FORCED] means that this civ will always have that armor item, no matter the world gen, no matter the civ.

To dilute the good stuff, you'd need to add additional items, so say a couple leather and cloth armor variants that count as melee armor on the [LAYER:ARMOR] at armor level 2 or 3 and is [SHAPED] so only that can be worn.

So if you have let's just say, 3 cloth armor variants and 3 leather armor variants, but still just one breastplate item available, then 6 out of 7 soldiers will have a good chance of having the crappier armors. That said, armor outfits are randomly generated for world gen troops, so you might have a force with little or no metal armor doing that, or majority metal armor.

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 12:50:46 pm »

Interesting. I suppose that does make sense. I was hoping to have it so that, say, humans will usually have chainmail, but only sometimes have breastplates, and I suppose that's not really possible. Perhaps I could make chain mail shaped, then, and buff it otherwise.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 02:45:56 pm »

Interesting. I suppose that does make sense. I was hoping to have it so that, say, humans will usually have chainmail, but only sometimes have breastplates, and I suppose that's not really possible. Perhaps I could make chain mail shaped, then, and buff it otherwise.

You'd need to change its layer to [LAYER:ARMOR] as well, because otherwise there's a good chance the better-equipped guys will still just wear it under a breastplate.

Also changing it like that will also affect anyone else using that item, which is basically everyone but kobolds and cave dwellers.