Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tricks, tips, or updates...  (Read 687 times)

Twilight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tricks, tips, or updates...
« on: March 04, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

Hello,
  AM is a great game, even by itself, but, is development with DF is fantastic.  A few questions that I didn't notice on prior posts, and if they haven't, in fact, been addressed then perhaps they might be considered on future updates.

-  the sleep command...very nice, fits the game, adds to the play value, BUT, anyway to speed things up (say, about 30 times as fast as the current ten minute screen crawl)??

-  food and water...make the game much better than otherwise, I know when hunger and thirst hit, but, any chance of some sort of changing number or bar or symbol to indicate the character's current level of both?

-  money...O.K., different incompatible currencies can be a good thing; having money as a part of the inventory is a nice touch.  However, while the whole trading menu is good in that you can shop with goods, cash, or both, but, is bad in that we really could use a VISIBLE money counter in terms of what the merchants want to offer or receive and what the player has, wants, or offers.

-  health...love the body parts component, but, is there any general indicator of health?  Current/max hitpoints, health bar, wellness piechart, general condition status, etc.?  It is just too important to know the status of the adventurer,  In real life, if you did have light damage to your limbs but were actually on the edge of death, then you sure wouldn't decide to try to storm a bandit fort on a hill.

- illnesses and diseases...do they exist in AM?

- polearms...is there a range for them (halberds, glaives, poleaxes, long spears, etc.)?  I haven't had any luck hitting except when I was adjacent to a foe.

Oh,well, just some ramblings.  The DF Wiki is great, but, there's an empty space when it comes to AM.

- Twilight

quot;Your world was destroyed by the price of plant cheese."

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tricks, tips, or updates...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 08:56:00 pm »

have no idea how to sleep faster. but afaik you dont really need to.

you dont need food and water in current version just go out to global map and make 1 step. you also cure everything.

yes items value would be great.

I think its good to finally get rid of health bar.
no diseases afaik.

im not sure about that. but try 'A'ttack while you 1 pace away from enemy.

Xombie.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 09:24:00 pm »

Twilight from the proudfoot boards?

In general, adventure mode is newer than dwarf mode and has received less attention, so a lot of things just aren't done.

Sleep is slow because I didn't abstract any of the things that are happening...  that's hard to do.  It would be nice if it went faster, but  it would probably lead to abuse or inplausible situations if it shut off parts of the game or tried to guess what the play area looks like hours later, though I understand that that might be preferable if the bar is moving very slow.  I was also thinking of adding dream sequences to break it up a bit.

I've been thinking about making the food/water indicators a little differently, since you have a little more knowledge about such things in real life than just the three states it currently has.  I don't really like numbers though.

Yeah, trading needs some work.  It's barely hanging together as it is, if you could even say that.

There are no hitpoints in the game.  When you press 'z' and it tells you about your bodyparts, that's really all there is to know -- aside from bleeding to death (which you could sort of liken to hitpoints, but not really).  The game gives you two indicators as to your blood state, and if either of them (faint/pale I think?) light up, you should consider withdrawing immediately.  So, if you were on the edge of death with limb damage, you would see light gray and brown damage in 'z', but you would also see a purple "Pale" on the main view, and this would let you know that you are in trouble and shouldn't commence an attack.
edit: I guess there are also things like not being able to breathe, which also have indicators.

Bloat 144 is disease and infection -- this is a dev item and hasn't been done yet.  You can see some other dev information HERE.

I haven't done anything with range/reach of hand-held weapons  -- they might never be able to go further than one square, but I certainly want it to take these things into consideration.

[ March 04, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Twilight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »

Hello,
  whoa - looks like Toady found me out?!  Yep, a Proudfoot exile happily settled in the Land of Armok.  Thank goodness my dwarves don't have to deal with any orcs from Natuk.

No, really - the game is great and it is an ALPHA, so no complaints.  I just had some questions, mostly because, I think, that the DF component (with reason) gets the lion's share of the players' attention.  Given Toady's track record, its a given that improvements across the board will come, at a reasonable, realistic pace.  Since it is an alpha, as with other similar games, sometimes a player is led to believe that they missed something that simply hasn't yet been implemented.

Ranged (polearm) weapons would be challenging - I suppose that you'd have to use the attack command and then repeatedly target a foe, but, balanced game play considerations would remain.

The arcs in place (development goals) are a very nice way to secure a sane and orderly advancement!  Plus, we all don't have to whine as much since we know what's planned.  

Truth be told, a hitpoints or even a health bar system would be nice, but, only of rather limited use, since you maintain a true (and realistic) critical hits system (i.e., one arrow through an eye will be one too many).  

I like being able to try to avenge fallen former heroes in the game...I wonder if adding a foes killed and quests completed counter stats page would help with the game's internal hero ranking?

Watching for those updates, but, enjoying the game meanwhile.    :D   :D

- Twilight

quot;Your world was destroyed by the price of plant cheese."

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »

I think in the end there might be some stats, but I mainly wanted to convey those things through in-game literature and other media, and through the legends screen.  Still, I like going over numeric lists and so on, so even if it is via somebody writing a "Top Kobold Killers of the Empire" book, it'll go in.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 12:48:00 pm »

It'd be neat if adventurer dwarves had random preferences like they do in fortress mode, and the dreams were about combinations of those things.  :D

Maybe in haunted areas the dreams would be nightmares :X

Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!